Going to uni this year??

• Thread starter Thread starter SheffStudent
  • Start date Start date
S

SheffStudent

Anyone going to uni this year? I am, but i am extremley worried and scared, i mean i will not nobody and what if I do not like anyone.

Our tutors told us about:

It is rather helpful, but it has not stopped me from worrying, please help!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I showed up my first day at College (we call it College in the US), I wasn't scared one bit. I was a bit frustrated at the disorganization of everything but I showed up like I owned it and people ended up asking me what to do. I ended up making a lot friends on the first day because I was helpful, polite and offered assistance when I could to those who needed it. Just be confident. It's a different experience; just remain, calm, collected and think rationally about the steps you need to take on the first day to settle in; jot down locations and phone numbers of offices that assist new students. Don't be afraid to ask questions and talk to people.. chances are they are just like you and it's all new to them as well.

Last but not least.. embrace it. If you embrace it, you will not fear it.

Don't worry, you'll soon find out where the pubs are in the locality, then having settled in there ,aside from the odd lecture to attend and visits to the takeaway you shouldn't be too troubled by the experience.
Hell you might even get to take a gap year, thus you get to do even less and alleviate the stress of it all.

Are you going to Sheffield Uni?

Smells like spam to me. This is his/her first and only post here.

Vassago said:
Smells like spam to me. This is his/her first and only post here.

I agree with you Vass. Still if he/she/it is genuine it looks like a classic example of British education. Going to Uni and incapable of stringing together a coherent sentence. Oh well, many University tutors are morons nowadays since excellence is so frowned upon, so he/she/it shouldn't feel too apprehensive.

There was a time when a "University" education and a degree was something of an achievement. Doctors, solicitors et al all went to University to qualify for their profession.

Nowadays, most 17 year olds go to university, they get a degree in some obscure subject that serves no good to man nor beast. They then get a job which bears no link to their degree.

It seems to me that:

a) everyone gets a pass - some pass better than others.

b) The "degree" is no longer special as everyone gets one - so whats the point? it doesn't separate the wheat from the chaff anymore.

c) getting a degree means you now have a certificate to prove you can't string a sentence together.

d) what used to be called "technical colleges" are now "universities" - what Anne Robinson calls "not a real university then";)

Why did things have to change?

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom