Has someone hijacked the DNS servers??

celticcastles

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:49
My Internet connection for the last few hours has redirected sites to UK.com when I type in www.google.com or ebay.com or yahoo.com. Just wondered how many people it has affected and if this is a DNS hack, there isn't any news on the web about it.

Got round it though by finding out the IP address of certain sites, if you want to go to www.dnsstuff.com there's loads of tools that's quite useful for web developers.

Just a thought.

:rolleyes:

Not me. I think it is probably a browser exploit

Sounds like you've been hijacked - do a full scan using your anti-spyware and adware software that should pick it up.
also double check your host file found under C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc folder (open with notepad NOTE: untick the always open with box) it should look like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

If you have any other entries after 127.0.0.1 localhost delete them

Minkey said:
Sounds like you've been hijacked - do a full scan using your anti-spyware and adware software that should pick it up.
also double check your host file found under C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc folder (open with notepad NOTE: untick the always open with box) it should look like this:

If you have any other entries after 127.0.0.1 localhost delete them

Thanks Minkey.

Doesn't seem to have changed anything though and no viruses. The problems occured yesterday, everything is fine now. :confused:

Apparently it was a fault with NTL the cable network, their DNS servers were overloaded and quite a few people had problems with the connection yesterday.

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom