Hello

BBD

Local time
Today, 07:24
Long time lurker
I'm John

So In my small business we used to use many excel sheets
about 8 years ago, I made databases that probably go against most rules, but have worked thus far.
The project was never finished, so many excel sheets still in use.

The times come, I need a database on all of these.

The main things I am looking at now....

Suppliers: raw materials with prices
Product builds of components from the suppliers (with cost prices)
Using my sales database i currently have i wish to do stock on materials, by knowing how many of each product build sold.
I would also like it if I update a price, the cost price against a sale stays correct at the time of sale, and also be a able to report / graph these prices over time.

Many Many Questions to ask

Welcome to Access World! We're so happy to have you join us as a member of our community. As the most active Microsoft Access discussion forum on the internet, with posts dating back more than 20 years, we have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with you.

We're a friendly and helpful community, so don't hesitate to ask any questions you have or share your own experiences with Access. We're here to support you and help you get the most out of this powerful database program.

To get started, we recommend reading the post linked below. It contains important information for all new users of the forum:

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We hope you have a great time participating in the discussion and learning from other Access enthusiasts. We look forward to having you around!

Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Hello, John, and welcome.

We have had many threads that covered the subject of "price at a point in time." I believe you could benefit by searching the forum for "historical price" as a starting point for your question: "I would also like it if I update a price, the cost price against a sale stays correct at the time of sale, and also be a able to report / graph these prices over time."

Long time lurker
I'm John

about 8 years ago, I made databases that probably go against most rules, but have worked thus far.

Using my sales database i currently have i wish to do stock on materials, by knowing how many of each product build sold.
I would also like it if I update a price, the cost price against a sale stays correct at the time of sale, and also be a able to report / graph these prices over time.

At this point in your development, I think the Northwind Developers Edition should give you a lot of ideas about how to go about these tasks.

Long time lurker
I'm John

If you could give us a little more detail about HOW your business functions, what events and items you wish to keep track of and just he column heads of the spreadsheets, we could probably suggest an initial design. Right now, it sounds like you have:
  1. Multiple vendors you purchase from.
  2. Each vendor may have multiple purchase orders from you.
  3. Each purchase order may have multiple inventory items at some cost per item that goes into your parts inventory.
  4. Each inventory item may be used in a product build.
So you might want to track vendors, purchase orders and parts inventory items ADDED and the cost to build each one.
On the sales side, you would have:
  1. Multiple customers
  2. Each customer may have multiple Sales Orders
  3. Each Sales Order may have multiple finished build items
Does that sound close to what you are attempting keep track of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom