Hi... And Please Help!!! (1 Viewer)

HaroldH

Local time
Today, 06:35
In 2017 I built a little Access app for my wife's business. Over the years the little business grew and so did the app, but it has functioned very well until recently.

The app hasn't changed in more than 6 months and was "reliable" for years. But recently it has became unstable and very slow.

I am thinking about migrating to an SQL backend, but there is a lot of code in the app and I dread having to re-write the whole front end.

Any suggestions???

Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Perhaps you can do a "slow" migration, where you only move some parts to SQL Server first and leave the rest in Access? Just a thought...

In 2017 I built a little Access app for my wife's business. Over the years the little business grew and so did the app, but it has functioned very well until recently.

The app hasn't changed in more than 6 months and was "reliable" for years. But recently it has became unstable and very slow.

I am thinking about migrating to an SQL backend, but there is a lot of code in the app and I dread having to re-write the whole front end.

Any suggestions???
Unfortunately, migrating tables with data from Access to SQL Server is not a magic bullet to address instability and slow performance. In fact, depending on why the current Access accdb is performing slowly, it may actually make it slower. Inefficient interface designs can be exacerbated by migrating to SQL Server in some cases.

You need to address the reasons for the instability and lack of performance first.

We can help you in many parts of the migration, if that is indeed what needs to be done. That starts, however, with a good understanding of the current status of the application.

In any case, with a properly split design, where the tables are in one accdb and the other objects in the front end, replacing the back end accdb with a SQL Server database does not require extensive modifications to the Front End. Your investment is not going to go to waste.

The business may want to hire a professional Access developer for an assessment. Access hasn't really changed in the last 6 months, although some bugs are introduced and fixed every month. That is RARELY the cause of instability and slowness.
We don't know your level of competency with Access (although we know you wrote an app that a business depends on, so good for you!) and if you have taken some basic steps to see what the problem might be, including in no particular order:
Office Repair
Decompile/Recompile
Compact and Repair
Windows Updates; driver updates
Test on another computer.
Quality of database design
Indexes

Unless you've made a lot of rookie mistakes, the changes to the app could be minimal. As George pointed out though, a straight conversion could make the app slower. One way to find out:) Do it and see what happens. Let SSMA convert the tables. Then linki the FE to the new BE and test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom