Hi people

Space Cowboy

Local time
Today, 19:39
I am not new to access as I have a quite large database, I do however have difficulty extracting the information that I need from it. I have previously used hired help but now feel its necessary to man up and learn it for myself. I have very limited programming experience, some machine code and Basic from a long time ago. I am ok with Logic and I hope that this will help me understand a bit.

It's unlikely that I will be able to offer advice or anything, but you never know.

I want to extract data and turn it into reports so will have lots of newbie questions.

Welcome to Access World! We're so happy to have you join us as a member of our community. As the most active Microsoft Access discussion forum on the internet, with posts dating back more than 20 years, we have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with you.

We're a friendly and helpful community, so don't hesitate to ask any questions you have or share your own experiences with Access. We're here to support you and help you get the most out of this powerful database program.

To get started, we recommend reading the post linked below. It contains important information for all new users of the forum:

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We hope you have a great time participating in the discussion and learning from other Access enthusiasts. We look forward to having you around!

Hi. Welcome to AWF!

, I do however have difficulty extracting the information that I need from it.

The most common reason that makes it difficult to extract information from an MS Access database is that it is constructed like an Excel spreadsheet.

I explain the problem, I also provide a solution if you're not too far advanced with your database in my blog here:-

Hi Space cowboy, welcome,
agreeing with what UG said. when it comes to the general concepts of SQL querying (including Access, which is still using a sort of version of sql concepts even if it's not always ansi standard) - it's actually surprising just how easy it is IF the tables are designed well. the joins come naturally and the join predicates make sense, the where clauses tend to be simple.

But you may have inherited a db that can't just be wiped out and re-grown, so I understand very well coming into that situation as well, it's tough and sometimes DOES require bandaids, often vba bandaids, to surmount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom