How do you limit data to just TOP RANKED rows (1 Viewer)

abq

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:14
Hello, I was trying to get only the TOP RANKED rows from a table like this, using a query.

Here is my data:

The result would be a table showing only the yellow shaded rows, which are those where the "fruit count" is the highest.
I tried with a "group by max", but as expected I do not get what I am looking for.
E.G. I get "London Pear 9" because Pear is max value and 9 is max value.
Similarly I get wrong results if I try to "group by first", because the data in the original table are not ordered.

Additionally, in case of ties for the first position, I would like to get the fruit value that comes first in a separate table like the following.
9 Pear
8 Orange
7 Banana
6 Apple
5 Kiwi
4 Mango
3 Peach

So for example correct results would be
Budapest Pear 7 (because Pear is higher than Peach)
and
Paris Banana 19 (because Banana is higher than Apple)

I am assuming you would need to run a couple layers of query for the result, but I am not finding the solution.
I attached an excel file with the basic data for this question.
Thanks for helping out!

-abq-

Attachments

• TopRanked.xls
    16 KB · Views: 123

abq

Registered User.
Local time
Hi and thank you for the quick reply.
This works, though require some tweaking in the SQL language box.
Is there any way I can obtain this result through the MS Access GUI interface?
I am currently on Access 11.

-abq-

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:14
You might be able to create the subquery SQL in the GUI, then copy it to the criteria in the main query's GUI.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 17:14
You can do this just by SQL. You want to find a specific record by finding the max value in 2 fields, this will require a few subqueries. Here's the first:

Code:
SELECT City, YourTableName.Fruit, FruitCount, Rank AS Rank
FROM YourFruitTableName
INNER JOIN YourRankTableName On YourRankTableName.Fruit = YourFruitTableName.Fruit

Paste that into a query and name it TopFruit_sub1. Replace the table names with the ones you actually have in your database. It just brings all the data you are going to need together into one object.

Code:
SELECT City, MAX(FruitCount) AS TopFruitCount
FROM TopFruit_sub1
GROUP BY City

Paste that into a query and name it TopFruit_sub2. It identifies the highest Fruit count for each city. Then use this sql:

Code:
SELECT TopFruit_sub1.City, MAX(Rank) AS TopRank, TopFruitCount
FROM TopFruit_sub1
INNER TopFruit_sub2 ON TopFruit_sub2.City = TopFruit_sub1.City AND ToFruit_sub2.TopFruitCount = TopFruit_sub1.FruitCount
GROUP BY City, MaxFruitCount

Paste that into a query and name it TopFruit_sub3. It breaks any ties within FruitCounts by using the highest rank value. Finally, the below query will give you the data you want:

Code:
SELECT TopFruit_sub1.City, TopFruit_sub1.Fruit, TopFruit_sub1.FruitCount
FROM TopFruit_sub1
INNER JOIN TopFruit_sub3 ON TopFruit_sub3.City = TopFruit_sub1.City
   AND TopFruit_sub3.TopRank = TopFruit_sub1.Rank
   AND TopFruit_sub3.TopFruitCount = TopFruit_sub1.TopFruitCount

abq

Registered User.
Local time
plog, thank you for your answer!
Your way is actually what I was looking for, as you can create all these queries by just using the GUI and not write any sql, which is a secondary but no less important objective of my exercise :)
ADDITIONALLY, by using this group of sub-queries, the result comes WAY much faster than adding the "TOP X" statement in the SQL language, when dealing with large tables.

I wonder if you could just add a calculated field with a "smart counter" that resets the count every time you hit a new City, then just filter by it?
That way I would only need to worry about ordering the table the way I need it, and then filter by the calculated field (a counter that restarts from 1 every time the list shows a new City).

-abq-

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 17:14
Yes you could do that (search this forum for 'Running Sum Query' or 'Running Total Query'). But I believe that mehtod will be slower than a series of sub-queries--since you are calculating the position of every element.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom