How many connection from Access front-end on pc1 to db server on pcX ? (1 Viewer)

amorosik

Local time
Today, 07:48
Reading the discussion on the possibility of using a Windows 10/11 as a machine to keep the data of an Access program
I wondered how to count the open connections between an Access procedure running on PC1 and the db server running on pcX
Suppose that pcX runs Window10/11 pro as the operating system, and suppose that the program running on pc1 has several forms open at the same time, each of which is connected to data on db server (Sql Server, Postgresql, Db2, ecc..) through an Odbc dsn
How to 'count' the number of open connections?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 06:48

amorosik

Local time
Very interesting code
Ok but I can use this code on the client side and see how many connections are activated from the single workstation
Wanting to see the server-side connections, those generated by all the workstations, and therefore on the PCX what contains the server db, is there a way to do it?

amorosik

Local time
Ok but the problem is "user connection" exactly does it indicate a connection to the Windows "file sharing" system or any other connection?
For example, if on pcX, the machine where the db server is physically run, I had a MySQL with port 3306 open and available to accept 'connections' from outside, and 10 client PCs connect to port 3306, this would logically NOT it is a connection to the Windows file sharing system
Are you saying that every client it is considered "one connection" and therefore consumes one of the twenty available?
Ultimately, what EXACTLY is meant by "one connection" a machine running Windows?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 13:48
Are you saying that every client it is considered "one connection" and therefore consumes one of the twenty available?
Ultimately, what EXACTLY is meant by "one connection" a machine running Windows?
that is what i understand, windows 10 can be both a Server (small version of Microsoft Server) and a Client as well.
the OS (win10) limits the connections. while your SQL Server can have 255 connections, that can be possible using Microsoft Windows Server OS, not Win10 or Win11.

AHeyne

Registered User.
Local time
@arnelgp : Out of curiosity, where did you get this information ("while your SQL Server can have 255 connections") from? I would like to read it's context.

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 14:48
from Microsoft:

SQL Server allows a maximum of 32,767 user connections. Because user connections is a dynamic (self-configuring) option, SQL Server adjust the maximum number of user connections automatically as needed, up to the maximum value allowable. For example, if only 10 users are logged in, 10 user connection objects are allocated. In most cases, you do not have to change the value for this option. The default is 0, which means that the maximum (32,767) user connections are allowed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom