How to handle inventory reservation when using Allen Browne's Inventory Control? (1 Viewer)

EazyCode

Local time
Today, 08:11
I have been using the functionality of Allen Browne's Inventory Control and it is all working just fine.
I have simplified it a bit and only using one table (TransactionT) and using a field [TransactionType] for directions (inventory in vs out).
TransactionT also handles stock locations.
Everything is working great.

But now I am thinking about making it possible to also reserve inventory for an order.
What would be the correct way to handle this considering the tables?
Should the reservation be stored in the TransactionT just like a normal "out of inventory" transaction but with a flag, [TransactionType]=Reserved. And when the inventory is ready to be withdrawn from inventory I just change the TransactionType to a normal inventory out?
Or should i store reservations in a separate table?
What makes most sense? How would you solve this?

The idea is to be able to print a picklist with all reserved material lines and if everything has been picked OK, then withdraw from inventory.

If it would be easier to grasp the prerequisites and come with a suggestion, how would you implement this functionality in the original model from Allen Browne?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Yesterday, 23:11
I have been using the functionality of Allen Browne's Inventory Control and it is all working just fine.
I have simplified it a bit and only using one table (TransactionT) and using a field [TransactionType] for directions (inventory in vs out).
TransactionT also handles stock locations.
Everything is working great.

But now I am thinking about making it possible to also reserve inventory for an order.
What would be the correct way to handle this considering the tables?
Should the reservation be stored in the TransactionT just like a normal "out of inventory" transaction but with a flag, [TransactionType]=Reserved. And when the inventory is ready to be withdrawn from inventory I just change the TransactionType to a normal inventory out?
Or should i store reservations in a separate table?
What makes most sense? How would you solve this?

The idea is to be able to print a picklist with all reserved material lines and if everything has been picked OK, then withdraw from inventory.

If it would be easier to grasp the prerequisites and come with a suggestion, how would you implement this functionality in the original model from Allen Browne?
Download and instantiate Northwind Developers Edition, where inventory is implemented, {based on Allen Browne's method}. It supports much of what you describe, albeit in somewhat different terms. Watch the YouTube videos Tom vS and Kim Y have recorded where they describe inventory in NW Dev.

DAAUG Presentation

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:11
Should the reservation be stored in the TransactionT just like a normal "out of inventory" transaction but with a flag, [TransactionType]=Reserved
this will do.
you calculate the remaining inventory as "out" + "reserved" and only create picklist from the reserved items.
after being picked up/delivered you change it as normal out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom