How to modify a table

Ben_Entrew

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:26
Hi all,

I want to modify a table called FC_TEMP via adding some columns from another table called AVERAGE_TRP. Do I have to create a new query table and then insert the output into a new table?
The following code shows me : Cannot execute a selected query.
Is there a way to update this FC_TEMP table without creating another temporary table?
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ben

Code:
Public Sub Update()
Dim strSQL As String

strSQL = "SELECT FC_TEMP.*,AVERAGE_TRP.[Average_new_TRP_EUR],AVERAGE_TRP.[Average_old_TRP_EUR],AVERAGE_TRP.[Average_Margin] " & _
         " FROM FC_TEMP " & _
         " INNER JOIN AVERAGE_TRP ON FC_TEMP.[PRODUCT_ID] = AVERAGE_TRP.[PRODUCT_ID]"

CurrentDb.Execute strSQL

DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE FC_TEMP SET FC_TEMP.[new_TRP_2013_in_EUR] = FC_TEMP.[Average_new_TRP_EUR] " & _
             " WHERE FC_TEMP.[new_TRP_2013_in_EUR] is Null"

DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE FC_TEMP SET FC_TEMP.[old_TRP_2013_in_EUR] = FC_TEMP.[Average_old_TRP_EUR] " & _
             " WHERE FC_TEMP.[old_TRP_2013_in_EUR] is Null"

DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE FC_TEMP SET FC_TEMP.[Margin] = FC_TEMP.[Average_Margin] " & _
             " WHERE FC_TEMP.[Margin] is Null"

End Sub

Well this is where I recall my old POST !

The fields new_TRP_2013_in_EUR, old_TRP_2013_in_EUR, Margin all sound to me like they are threshold or statistic data, which all need to be in a table of its own and only needs to be joined when needed to be displayed or queried. Or maybe Calculated in Queries but not stored !

Sorry I could not be of help here ! :rolleyes: Good luck !

EDIT: Thanks JD ! Someone to agree with me. :)

Last edited:
Basically I want to replace missing TRP records with the average values of another table, I created before.
I took the avergares from a TRP table and created a AVERAGE TRP table out of it.
Is there a way to update the FC_TEMP table directly with the average values of the TRP table. Without to create this Average TRP table?

I run this code before to store the average values into the Average_TRP table.
How can I avoid to store these Average values,
is there a way to combine this with one SQL in order to update the missing TRP in FC_TEMP with the average values of the TRP_2013 table?

Code:
'Creating average transfer prices out of the actual TRP data and store into AVERAGE_TRP

Public Sub Average_TRP()
Dim strSQL As String
strSQL = "SELECT TRP_2013.Customer, TRP_2013.[Product_ID], AVG(TRP_2013.[new_TRP_2013_in_EUR]) as [Average_new_TRP_EUR], " & _
         " AVG(TRP_2013.[old_TRP_2013_in_EUR]) as [Average_old_TRP_EUR],AVG(TRP_2013.[Margin]) as [Average_Margin] INTO AVERAGE_TRP " & _
         " FROM TRP_2013 " & _
         " GROUP BY TRP_2013.Customer, TRP_2013.[Product_ID]"

CurrentDb.Execute strSQL

End Sub

Hi all,

is there a way to use this?
Can someone help me with the syntax?

Code:
DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE FC_TEMP SET FC_TEMP.[new_TRP_2013_in_EUR] = AVERAGE_TRP.[Average_new_TRP_EUR] " & _
             " FROM FC_TEMP " & _
             " INNER JOIN AVERAGE_TRP ON FC_TEMP.[PRODUCT_ID] = AVERAGE_TRP.[PRODUCT_ID] " & _
             " WHERE FC_TEMP.[new_TRP_2013_in_EUR] is Null"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom