I want to learn Microsoft SQL Server

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 06:16
I am looking for an SQL Server E-book which starts from "What is a Database?"

May I humbly suggest that if you want to learn something, you let the teacher decide what to start off with? They know more than you.

"Querying SQL Server 2012, Training Kit" book. Perfect. And don't let the version # scare you off, that's meaningless. New versions are mostly just to introduce a few fancy functions here and there. 99.99999% of learning to query T-SQL are in that book, and probably several before it too

The best and easiest reply I can give you is for you to look for specials on Udemy.. If you register on Udemy the will notify you when they have specials available for SQL classes. The great thing is that you can get classes to learn SQL from A-Z. Additionally if you need training to be able to understand what a database is and how it works you can also get it there. Good Luck, Learning SQL is a great way to start a great career.

A quick internet search turned up a handful of possibilities.

I can't recommend any of them as I've not used them, but it a list of that sort a good starting point to sample what kinds of materials are offered. I think the Udemy courses are probably a good idea.

At a more advanced stage you could look for books by Joe Celko, who is a preeminent SQL Server author, but his books tend to be very dense, not appropriate early on in your studies.

Querying Sql Server 2012 : Training Kit.
(book).
Joe C. is one of the most prominent (and meanest) experts, pops up occasionally on sqlservercentral.com
And look, look, look, everywhere you can, for cases to practice on.

SQL Server isn't the only database. You have a very simple and easy to use database right on your desktop. Your question is ambiguous. Are you trying to learn the logic of how to design a normalized database schema or do you already know how to do that but you want to learn the mechanics of how SQL Server specifically work? So, how to use SSMS and how to do backups and how to recover, and how to create stored procedures and set up security etc? The difference is between database designer and database administrator. Two very different skill sets.

I want to know each and every features of SQL server.
And I want to know how to fly a plane. You will have far more success if you target your learning. I defined two different paths of study. Unless you have mastered the art of reading and comprehending two separate books at the exact same time, this is a serial endeavour.

Do you have SQL Server installed? If you don't have it installed, choose the Developer version. Do you have a network on which to test? If you want to study database design, you can do it with Access. The concept of designing a properly normalized database is essentially the same regardless of which tool you will used to implement your design. If you think you know everything you need to know about how to design a database and you want to learn how to build that database using SQL Server because you already know how to use Access, then you want to learn how to use SSMS which is the GUI tool for SQL Server.

Last edited:
I want to know each and every features of SQL server.
Good luck with that.

I've been using SQL Server (Both Azure and local flavours) for about 10 years and probably know and understand about 25% of it's capabilities.
I think I know another 20% but when I come to use those features I always have to look up a syntax or remind myself of the correct methods of application.

As Pat has stated you need to target your learning, have a specific task and then try and solve it in SQL Server.
Look at re-writing some complex VBA Access processes into a stored procedure for instance.

You could also take your Access queries and convert them to T-SQL - manually, not with the help of any gizmo or gadget. That would teach and educate a lot as you make small mistakes and people help to correct them - etc. And fun I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom