I was wrong about tariffs (1 Viewer)

jpl458

Local time
Today, 15:31
When I went to high school and college I learned that when a country imposes tariffs on the good from other countries, the tariffs act as a sales tax paid by the consumer. But I was wrong. According to the Donald, who wants to eliminate taxes, and replace them with the money, say China, will pay for the tarrif fees. Read about Hawley Smoot bill in the 20s. Which is like the proposal that Donald the Dolt wants to impose. He claims he is so smart, yet he has no idea how tariffs work. And don't tell me he was actually talking about something else. If I were asking questions at the first debate, my first would be "How do tariffs work".

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time

Biden continues the same tariffs, so he must disagree with you

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:31
say China, will pay for the tariff fees
Didn't Donny also say Mexico would pay for his border wall.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:31
When I went to high school and college I learned that when a country imposes tariffs on the good from other countries, the tariffs act as a sales tax paid by the consumer. But I was wrong. According to the Donald, who wants to eliminate taxes, and replace them with the money, say China, will pay for the tarrif fees. Read about Hawley Smoot bill in the 20s. Which is like the proposal that Donald the Dolt wants to impose. He claims he is so smart, yet he has no idea how tariffs work. And don't tell me he was actually talking about something else. If I were asking questions at the first debate, my first would be "How do tariffs work".

The correct answer is that in a free market world (where we cannot blockade China from doing business with others) "Tariffs don't work." OR at most, they work as protectionist methods to push domestic vs. foreign products.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 18:31

Overall I think this is a non issue in the debate as questions go, but if your going to ask it correctly, it should be worded like this:
If super power country A doesn't impose any tariffs against super power country B and super power country B imposes tariffs against super power country A for 20 years straight, should super power country A ever consider imposing it's own tariffs against super power country B or should they just continue to trade with an imbalance for the sake lower priced foreign goods?

My debate question would be:
What is FARA and why is it so important that everyone in politics (including family members) abides by it?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Didn't Donny also say Mexico would pay for his border wall.

We need a wall around this country what an obvious solution to the illegal immigration problem duh

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:31
We need something, but a static wall around a border NEVER works. A static wall is the most porous of all good-looking defensive strategies. The walls must be patrolled actively on irregular schedules.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
When I went to high school and college I learned that when a country imposes tariffs on the good from other countries, the tariffs act as a sales tax paid by the consumer.
Biden is proposing to increase the corporate tax rate. Should that occur, corporations will increase what they charge for their products to make-up for the corporate tax rate. Corporations don't directly pay taxes, the consumer indirectly pays when they buy the corporations products. So like a tariff, a corporate tax is paid by the consumer.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Start by firing Biden and Myorkis, eliminate as many incentives as possible. Create laws that deport them if they miss any courts dates. Rinse lather repeat.
A downside of the rule-of-law is that those who wish to "destroy" this country have become very adept at abusing the law to prevent those who wish to fix issues such as immigration from implementing actions such as deportation. Just this morning a Republican senator spoke of how funds in the Inflation Reduction Act is being used to fund NGOs that support illegal immigrants. This obviously speaks to defunding any programs providing direct/indirect support of illegal immigrants (this would also include defunding any lawyers advocating for illegal immigrants). The law needs to be changed to essentially allow immediate unquestioned deportation to eliminate the current practice of appeal after appeal after appeal after appeal with no action in the end.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I would also add, if you used executive orders to create the problem, then stop whining and use it again to fix the problem.

jpl458

Local time

Biden continues the same tariffs, so he must disagree with you
Please note that what you described in inflation.
Overall I think this is a non issue in the debate as questions go, but if your going to ask it correctly, it should be worded like this:

My debate question would be:
If you listen to what Trump is proposing, he wants a 65% taiff on China goods, and 10% on every other country, Plus he wants to get rid of income tax and pay the delta by how much the US makes on the tariffs. It does not work that way. Consumers pay the tariffs. Haley-Smoot act in 1930 deapend the depression and made it The Great depression.. Your right that tariffs cause prices to rise, and that is inflation. Inflaation is now about 3%, IF this all takes place inflation could be as high as 8%, or more, plus jobs will be lost, becausse other countries will retaliate and we could have a repeat performance of 1929. One economist said that Trumps idea was the worst financail proposal in the history of the country. Trump does not really understand how the government works.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would also add, if you used executive orders to create the problem, then stop whining and use it again to fix the problem.
The problem with executive orders is that the next President cancels them if he doesn't like them, except for Trump. He was not allowed to cancel Obama's executive orders. But Biden had no trouble with cancelling Trump's. I guess it is the deep state that actually controls which executive orders live and which die.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
We need something, but a static wall around a border NEVER works. A static wall is the most porous of all good-looking defensive strategies. The walls must be patrolled actively on irregular schedules.

I disagree. You can clearly see people coming through places without walls. A wall is a fundamental ingredient in a bigger strategy.
I never said there shouldn't be a bigger strategy, but I question the motives of people trying hard to get us not to build a wall.

What exactly are you afraid of?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Please note that what you described in inflation.

If you listen to what Trump is proposing, he wants a 65% taiff on China goods, and 10% on every other country, Plus he wants to get rid of income tax and pay the delta by how much the US makes on the tariffs. It does not work that way. Consumers pay the tariffs. Haley-Smoot act in 1930 deapend the depression and made it The Great depression.. Your right that tariffs cause prices to rise, and that is inflation. Inflaation is now about 3%, IF this all takes place inflation could be as high as 8%, or more, plus jobs will be lost, becausse other countries will retaliate and we could have a repeat performance of 1929. One economist said that Trumps idea was the worst financail proposal in the history of the country. Trump does not really understand how the government works.

Blah, blah, blah. More word salad.

He was president once and things were good. That's why people want to re-elect him. To get things good again :)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You listen to nothing that Trump says. You take your opinion from some talking head who "interprets" what Trump says and twists it until it is unrecognizable. When Trump was President, I always listened to Rachael Maddow after a speech to find out what he "really" said. It never ceased to amaze me that we could both have listened to the same speech and yet she always heard something totally different and her quotes were random words taken out of context. The "fact" checkers never called her out though.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
ANDREW CUOMO: “If his name was not Donald Trump and if he was not running for President, I’m telling you, that case would have never been brought. And that's what's offensive to people. And it should be.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom