Indexing Data from Database on Website (1 Viewer)

databasedonr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:53
I'm new to the website game, but have built several static brochure-type sites and recently my first data-driven asp site. It works well, but I have no idea how to get search engines to index the data that's in the database. For example, if someone googles an item that matches an item in my database, then it would be great if I could potentially have a hit on my site. I am familiar with keyword indexing and site mapping, but most of the data in my database is not picked up by indexing in that fashion.... Any suggestions on where to start would be a terrific help.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:53
What is the site so I can analyse what's there.

Simon

databasedonr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:53
www.missing-u.ca.

All the missing persons names are in the database, but none of those names are indexed by any search engine. That's what I'd like to achieve....

Thanks for looking, and for any hints.

Don

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:53
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical, but for search engines to rank a page, you need clarity.

1) The weight of keyword relates to the density and too many dilutes the value of individual keywords.

2) There is so little content for the search engines to hook into in comparison to the content of the page.

3) How do the keywords relate to the actual content?

4) As apx can do paging there is little need to clutter up the page with navigation techniques.

5) Strict using div (+ccs) allows you handle content more cleanly.

6) A lot of Javascript simply does not valid to W3C conventions and your pages will have numerous errors which ma lead the search engines to think that the site is under construction as each page should validate.

Your keywords are too convaluted and repetitive

Code:
<meta name="keywords" content="missing person, cold case, unsolved, missing persons, canadian missing persons, canada missing persons, canada unidentified bodies, canada unidentified human remains, canadian unidentified bodies, canadian unidentified human remains, ontario, ontario provincial police, unidentified bodies, unidentified body, unidentified human remain, unidentified human remains" />

This is too long whilst this is succint:

Code:
<meta name="title" content="Ontario Provincial Police Missing Persons Unidentified Bodies" />

Sofaras as content is concerned the pages should be lightweight and one of problems of javascript is that it floods the page with script that has no bearing to the actual content. Any typographical information should all be contained in a css cascading stylesheet and not on the actual page. Paging can be handled by asp.

Lets take the Missing Person page and Penny Warne. Save for the previous comments about too little actual content on the page, you could increase the density of Penny Warne by having the [Image] alt="Penny Warne Details" with the image linking to the Detail page but at the very least [Case Detail] Title="Penny Warne Details" and [Image] alt="Penny Warne Details". The Case Details button is superfluous when you can use the image for navigation.

On the Penny Warne Details page your meta tags should be:

Code:
<title>Penny Warne</title>
<meta name="description" content="Penny Warne">
<meta name="keywords" content="Penny Warne">

The emphasis here is Penny Warne not that she is missing. Whilst this might not be accurate what you want to promote Penny Warne first and foremost.

In essence what you try and achieve density and I took me ages to work out how to promote web sites, one or two had me completely stumped but the penny did drop eventually.

There is so much you can do, you have an important message but the search engines don't know that.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom