Question Is there anyway to restrict users to hide&rearranging the columns in Datasheet view?

gvenkat

Local time
Today, 07:30
Is there anyway to restrict users to hide&rearranging the columns in Datasheet view?

I am displaying table records in access form Datasheet view. While business users accessing that form, they are hiding and rearranging some columns for their use. So it will be hard for other users to access. I just want to know any settings are avaible in MS Access or can we accomplish this using any events or macro or modules??
Waiting for your valuable response..

Re: Is there anyway to restrict users to hide&rearranging the columns in Datasheet vi

But each user uses own front end, because the data base is split, of course, so why exactly is it a problem that someone sets the columns up the way he or she likes?

Re: Is there anyway to restrict users to hide&rearranging the columns in Datasheet vi

Yes, it is a problem. Multiple users accessing the same front end access form. So if one user modified(Hide or reordered) some columns, it will be hard for others users to work on.

I think that was a subtle hint that each user should have their own local copy of the front end.

Apparently having a shared front end can cause problems, although I have not come across any personally, it has come to be seen as best practice to do so.

Why not enjoy the fact that you have users savvy enough to use this handy Access facility, and make it explicitly available also to those who are unaware of it? Add a big fat button called Arrange columns, and when clicked, invoke the Hide dialog using RunCommand.

A more bitchy option would be to set the sequence and unhiding all columns on form load.

The ultimate degree of bitchiness would be to remove the right-click menu (under Property Sheet-> Other-> Shortcut menu) or to distribute .Accde/.mde as front end

actually, if you issue a mde/accde you will find that the changes are not saved from session to session, which is actually a PITA at times - if you really want to enable the feature.

The issue of users affecting the experience of each other is another indication of the permanent recommendation that each user uses a separate copy of the database., as Nanscombe said above

I don't believe a Continouus Form you can hide and play around with columns. I never use Datasheets because of the ability to resize Subforms to the available screen resolution. I would note that you can make a Continuous Form to look exactly like a Datasheet but I prefer to use Alternate Colours on Rows rather than gridlines.

Simon

yes - you can't manipulate continuous forms, in the way you can data sheets. You can also have buttons on them. I tend to use continuous forms far more than datasheets - I only use datasheets very occasionally

I just want to know any settings are available in MS Access or can we accomplish this using any events or macro or modules??

I have accomplished this even though each of my users are on their own front end. My datasheet form is inside of a navigation control which only has two options the datasheet and another general form. See this thread http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=235663.:o

By turning off the warnings you avoid the application asking if you would like to save design changes. That is what I have set my navigation form to, on my datasheet form I have it set on the current event to:
Code:
Private Sub Form_Current()
strJobNumber = Nz(Me.JobNumber, 0)
DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name, acSaveNo

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
On Error GoTo Errgotolast
DoCmd.GoToRecord , "", acLast
DoCmd.SetWarnings True

Errgotolast:
    On Error Resume Next

End Sub
Private Sub Form_Current()
strJobNumber = Nz(Me.JobNumber, 0)
DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name, acSaveNo

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
On Error GoTo Errgotolast
DoCmd.GoToRecord , "", acLast
DoCmd.SetWarnings True

Errgotolast:
    On Error Resume Next

End Sub
Unless I misread something, I am only one cup of coffee in :)

The title states, "restrict users to hide&rearranging the columns in Datasheet view".

Have one more cup ;)

However, by forcing the form to close without saving and not prompting to save then it would reset itself to the original design and it wouldn't matter it they sorted or hid anything. Although I am not sure how that would work out with multiple users running one front end. I did it in my application mainly because someone would change something then not realize they have to remove the filter ect.

The OP is not asking about resetting it, the question is for a preventative measure.
Plus there are other factors, the OP isn't trying to do this at table level (which is wrong), the OP is giving access to the table to his/her users (which is wrong) and the db isn't split (which is also wrong).

Well, I am sure they have come up with some sort of solution by now. I was just attempting to help :banghead: I could have sworn it said they were working on a datasheet form that was a split database with the front end being shared.
Off to solve my own problems :)

You might be right there about the form. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom