Logon Error for Users on a different network

• Thread starter Thread starter carriee
  • Start date Start date
C

carriee

I have users on two different networks. Users in my network, let's call it 'A', have NO problems logging on to the user-level security database I created. Users on network 'B' keep getting an error rather than a password prompt saying 'Can't Use Admin; file in use'...or something to that effect.

I have created accounts for all users and passwords for all users. When I log on with another users name in network A, I have no problems.

Our wonderful helpdesk has no idea why this is happening. Any suggestions?

Is your database split?

If you didn't split it front-end/back-end, then you could be running into locking errors. The front-end should have forms, queries, code, reports, etc. The back end should only have your data tables. If each person has a copy of the front-end on their own computer, then you'll avoid "Database has been placed in a state of lock by user 'Admin' on computer 'whatever'".

If that's not the problem, I'm not sure I understand. What is the exact error message that pops up?

The exact error is: 'Could not use 'Admin'; File already in use.'

My database is not split...never done that before.

Never seen that precise error

However it looks very similar to the one I used to get when we had several people using an unsplit database. From time to time it would lock out anyone new, and anyone in it had to exit the datbase completely, then we could all get back in.

Split databases have a couple benefits. First of all, they avoid this locking error problem for the most part, because each user is using copies of the forms/reports/etc on their own computer, not the master.

Likewise, a split database makes updates easier. You can make updates on a copy of the front-end, changing forms, adding new reports and queries, etc, until you get it all working to your satisfaction. Meanwhile your users can continue using the database in its existing form. Then at 5pm/8am/lunchtime, you get everyone out of the database for half an hour and copy the new front-end over onto everyone's computer. Next time they start up, they have the fresh copy.

Finally, you've protected your data from getting corrupted along with your forms if anything was to happen during one of those updates. Because your data tables are in a separate database by themselves, the file is much smaller and you can copy then onto a floppy disk, network backup drive, or whatever, quickly and painlessly.

But, there's some small drawbacks too. The primary one is speed. Linked tables (the front-end has 'links' that refer to the real tables in the back-end) are slower than local tables, so you'll see some slowdown. You recover some of that slowdown by the fact that when you copy the front-end to the local computers. The reason for this is you're now only moving the tables across the network, not the forms, reports, and code as well. (I'm assuming here that you're currently using a single copy of the entire database, on the network drive, that everyone can access). It will still be slightly slower but if you have a good network it will be okay.

Look up split database in the archives, the Microsoft Support Knowledge Base (support.microsoft.com), or in Access help. You can use the Splitter Wizard or just do it yourself.

Good luck,
David R

If anyone has seen this particular error message, please let me know how you fixed it.

I'm thinking it is a problem with the NetWare permissions and NOT Access since a user on my network can access the database with no problem, but on their own network they get the 'Could not use 'Admin'; file already in use' error message.

All help welcomed!

I had the same problem today. It turned out that my users did not have the correct rights to the directory/server. When we added read/write/delete they were able to get in. When Access tried to open the mdb it has to write a lock file. If you don't have the proper rights to the directory, you can't create the file and you get the 'Admin' error... Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom