.mdb files just apearing having the same name of the backend db (1 Viewer)

ADIGA88

Local time
Tomorrow, 01:21
Hi guys,

Do you have an idea why my backend has those .mdb files?

The app is a multi-user two tears (Front and back) application and shared using windows remote services (both FE BE on the same device)

BE and FE are created by Access 365, using Access Runtime for production on a windows server.

1666508819392.png

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:21
Maybe the backend is getting corrupted and repairing itself from time to time. Is that possiby happening?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:21
These could be failed C&R files. Do you have the BE set to C&R on close? It should not be!

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
These could be failed C&R files.
Definitely the most likely explanation.

It would appear the MS didn't bother to change the hardcoded temporary database name in the C&R procedure - if you were to open them you will find they are actually .accdb's!

ADIGA88

Local time
These could be failed C&R files. Do you have the BE set to C&R on close? It should not be!
Actually yes, I have a separate FE that I am using to update some tables periodically and it's configured with C&R.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The app is a multi-user two tears (Front and back) application and shared using windows remote services (both FE BE on the same device)
I do hope that does not mean all users are using the same FE - that way lies corruption. Each user should have their own copy of the FE

Suggest you open one of the database mdb's and see if it is a front end or back end

ADIGA88

Local time
Do you use DropBox, OneDrive or others? That's deadly.
No, it exists in a normal folder.

I do hope that does not mean all users are using the same FE - that way lies corruption. Each user should have their own copy of the FE
Yes, multiple users working on the same FE 🫣, and this setup like this for almost two years. I know I have to separate them

Suggest you open one of the database mdb's and see if it is a front end or back end
There is a couple of admin FE exist but the majority is the user FE and this confirms it.

ADIGA88

Local time
Definitely the most likely explanation.

It would appear the MS didn't bother to change the hardcoded temporary database name in the C&R procedure - if you were to open them you will find they are actually .accdb's!
I noticed if I open one, the extension of the lock file is .laccdb

The user FE (there is admin FE) doesn't have a C&R most likely the issue is that multiple users have the same FE.

I will make a copy of FE for each user and disable C&R and see if I still have them.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I will make a copy of FE for each user
assuming each user logs into the remote server with their own username and password, then they will each have their own 'C' drive, documents and desktop folders etc. You need to place their copy of the FE within their environment. There are plenty of examples on this and other forums as to how this can be achieved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom