Migrate old access db to 2007/2010 (1 Viewer)

davea300

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:43
Hello

I've been given the task of migrating an old access database which was originally written in access97 but runs now in client PC's using access 2003. I'm not sure if whoever 'converted' it to 2003 made any form/code changes. My plan is to migrate it to 2007 and 2010 (we have mixed client PC's) but some forms, when opened in access 2007, just appear as a white blank page. They work fine on access 2003 but nothing in any newer version. I thought that all the versions use the same VB code but after having a search on the web and reading this I've learned about the changes:

http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html

One form in particular opens fine when the user selects the option to essentially add a new record. When they select the option to view/edit an existing record, which uses the same form but with criteria set to ID_Number = 'whatever number' all they get is a blank page.
There is quite a lot of VB code behind this form, disabling certain fields depending on values for example, so I'll have to trawl through it but is there anything I should be looking out for?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I suspect there is nothing very much wrong with the database

the most likely cause of blank pages is that the form does not allow additions, and there are no items to display. In such cases you get an apparently blank form.

I would investigate the queries carefully for these forms, just in case A2007 is more rigorous about some things. eg, you used to be able to refer to fields in a forms recordsdource (query) without the fields being bound to controls - but you come back to stuff like this, and find it doesn't work. Might be that sort of issue.

Generally, A2003 databases should run under A2007 and later with no problems.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:43
Is this a database you could copy and post for readers to focus on a specific form/issue?
You could remove anything confidential/private --but leave or 'anonymize' enough data to highlight the issue.

davea300

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks gemma (Dave) I'll take a look at the underlying queries tommorrow.

jdraw - I would have to 'anonymize' a lot for this database. If I get stuck with the queries I'll see if I can post it and highlight the form.

Matoco1

Registered User.
Local time
I have recently faced a similar problem when migrating from 97 to 2010, None of my VBA code worked. I managed to fix this by using compile the project in the debug tab of VBA.
Might be worth a try

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom