Moors

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Yesterday, 19:54
Back in the 60.s my ship pulled in to UK. My friend and I met two girls in a pub. The next day they took us horseback riding in a place call the Moors. What part of UK would that had been, or is Moors just a general term? I don't remember much about it except lots of free ranging cows and horses.

What I remember about the pick-up is funny. My friend was very shy, he said how are we going to meet them. (Before you criticize remember I was only 19 years old} I walked up to their table and said, excuse me, are you girls from the UK? Could you answer a question I have always wondered about your country. They said sure. I said wait a minute my friend has some questions also. My first question was I don’t see any drinks that I recognize. What is made with such and such. They said Pims no 1.

Depends on where you docked, ‘moors’ is a general term for (usually) a higher area devoid of trees.

and it’s Pimms😁. At Wimbledon this year I believe they served 250,000 glasses. Usually served diluted with lemonade and with ice and fruit

Depends on where you docked, ‘moors’ is a general term for (usually) a higher area devoid of trees.

and it’s Pimms😁. At Wimbledon this year I believe they served 250,000 glasses. Usually served diluted with lemonade and with ice and fruit
Its hard to remember, its 62 years ago but If I remember correctly it was near the May Flower replica.

The most usual places generally just known as 'the moors' are the Yorkshire Moors and Exmoor/Dartmoor. The latter might be a good guess if you were Navy, and the former if you were a merchant seaman. However, this is just wild speculation on my part. Both these areas have free ranging horses and cattle.

Might have been Plymouth (England) where a replica was built and sailed to Plymouth (Massachusetts) in 1957

Which almost certainly means Dartmoor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom