Solved Not a coding problem

John Sh

Local time
Today, 10:02
I have a situation where my university's IT has had to limit trusted sites within the system thanks to Microsoft's advances in technology..
To this end I have been allocated a trusted site where the Back end now resides. This has worked for us, to degree but I'm having a problem where the locations of some of the individual front ends "C:\Access front end\" are no longer trusted.
This means some computers can no longer run the software.
My thought is to transfer the front end to a trusted site and this looks like it will work

My question is; should I create separate copies of the front end, in individual folders for each user. A shortcut on each machine would open that machine's copy of the FE, or can 4 or 5 users run the same front end software from a single location in a trusted space.
Both options are available to me but the maintenance of a single FE would be somewhat easier than maintaining multiple copies.

but the maintenance of a single FE would be somewhat easier than maintaining multiple copies.
of course you maintain only one master db. after updating this db, you again make copies to each users folder.

can 4 or 5 users run the same front end software from a single location in a trusted space
That is the same question as ‘can I jump off a tall building?’. The answer is the same - you can but it strongly advised not to as you are likely to be irreparably damaged.

of course you maintain only one master db. after updating this db, you again make copies to each users folder.
That is the same question as ‘can I jump off a tall building?’. The answer is the same - you can but it strongly advised not to as you may be irreparably damaged.
That's pretty much what I thought, just looking for some confirmation.
As an abseiler, I do jump off tall buildings and survive to tell the story!!

I have a situation where my university's IT has had to limit trusted sites within the system thanks to Microsoft's advances in technology..
To this end I have been allocated a trusted site where the Back end now resides. This has worked for us, to degree but I'm having a problem where the locations of some of the individual front ends "C:\Access front end\" are no longer trusted.
This means some computers can no longer run the software.
My thought is to transfer the front end to a trusted site and this looks like it will work

My question is; should I create separate copies of the front end, in individual folders for each user. A shortcut on each machine would open that machine's copy of the FE, or can 4 or 5 users run the same front end software from a single location in a trusted space.
Both options are available to me but the maintenance of a single FE would be somewhat easier than maintaining multiple copies.
You should be able to create a separate sub-directory within your trusted directory for each user. Copy the master FE to each users sub-directory. That way each user has their own FE copy. You probably will need to re-connect each one to the BE file. The master FE is always kept in a separate Sub-directory as well of course. Never ever allow multiple users to open a single FE file.

I think the default is to not trust objects, but surely the user can elect to trust them, or set trust centre properties to trust them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom