Nuclear Weapons (1 Viewer)

emcf

Local time
Today, 14:31
The UK Parliament has now started the process of debate regarding the replacement of the Trident missile system -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4804144.stm

Should the UK replace this system or make the the brave decision to get rid of a nuclear deterrent in the hope that it spawns a worldwide movement to remove nuclear weapons from this planet?

I'm really unsure - the modern era may make it unlikely that we would be threatened by a rogue state with nuclear weapons but the likes of North Korea and possibly Iran makes me think twice......even if the UK got rid of its weapons (and save £10bn plus in the process) I really do not think other countries would follow suit. Are nuclear weapons a Pandora's box that can never be closed?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:31
I suppose the answer would depend on the likelihood that the "brave decision" would lead to the desired outcome. My guess is that it would not. Muggers don't go after big strong guys; they go after little old ladies that can’t protect themselves. I’d love to live in a world without nuclear weapons, but the sad fact is that they’re probably here to stay.

emcf

Local time
pbaldy said:
I suppose the answer would depend on the likelihood that the "brave decision" would lead to the desired outcome. My guess is that it would not. Muggers don't go after big strong guys; they go after little old ladies that can’t protect themselves. I’d love to live in a world without nuclear weapons, but the sad fact is that they’re probably here to stay.

probably true pbaldy - unless the green party win a majority in westminster the UK would not unilaterally disarm. even if they did (and correct me if i'm wrong but there are no green mps at westminster) i can't see other countries following the lead. it would need either a consensus at the UN or all out nuclear war to get rid of them all.

R

Rich

It's a mute point anyway, if we get rid of ours we can borrow them from the French :eek: :D

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Rich said:
It's a mute point anyway, if we get rid of ours we can borrow them from the French :eek: :D

Not if the dock workers are on strike:D

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 09:31
Reminds me of this - which was on the tele last week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom