Object(s) get set to nothing when an error occurs.

JamesPower4

Local time
Today, 02:18
This has been driving me crazy. It occurs in different contexts, but here's an example. I have a subform, and in the subform's module I declare a dictionary object to keep track of some information:

Private colFlaggedNodes As Scripting.Dictionary

In the subform's load event I set a reference to the object:

Private Sub Form_Load()
Set colFlaggedNodes = New Scripting.Dictionary

I then begin working with the records displayed by the form and the subform. However, if a runtime error occurs in the subform code (error not necessarily related to the object; colFlaggedNodes in this case) that object gets set to Nothing with no warning. When I correct the error and then try to use the object elsewhere in code I get an error 91 because colFlaggedNodes is now Nothing. I would think that since colFlaggedNodes is declared at the module level that it would persist in spite of errors.
This also occurs with class modules that I've created - a runtime error sets objects in that class module to Nothing.
Can anyone provide an explanation for this, or tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

First, you must understand how things are allocated in memory. Note that because Access is NOT an OpenSource product, we cannot be totally sure, but over the years I've read some articles. This is more or less what happens.

Remember that MSACCESS.EXE is the MAIN program segment. You didn't write it. It came into being because of something Microsoft did to compile and link-edit the pieces-parts into a unified whole. But if Access is already whole, how do you get things to persist in its memory? Well, you do... but technically you don't; you can't. MSACCESS.EXE is a closed and compiled task image. You can't put anything IN it - but you can have it put things where it can see them. You can get things to persist in structures built in the Access Heap and Stack - two parts of ANY Windows program's working memory space. Your modules interact with the Access GUI environment to define things on your behalf.

When you activate a "standard" code or class module, the declaration area of that module gets stuffed somewhere in memory, probably on the Heap, as a "fully defined" structure with variables that happen to match the declarations you made at the top of that general module. We don't know exactly where it goes, but somewhere. You activate that module by calling or referencing something inside it, which causes it to become instantiated. That is, simply, that General Declaration Area memory gets allocated and filled at run-time. When you call a VBA routine (sub OR function) of ANY kind, the per-routine (private) declarations go into what is called a Call Frame on the Stack. The public variables (if any) can also go into the heap.

When you encounter any program error, you have a chance to intercept it, but if you don't successfully do so, the code that catches it is sometimes going to eat your socks. Why, you ask, does this happen? How is this important? It is of supreme importance because of what traps do to the stack. This next part is the reason that things get reset.

When you declare an error handler (ON ERROR GOTO CATCH_THE_WABBIT) and then an error gets handled, you have very few choices. IF your trap handler can do so, it will remedy the error and do a RESUME NEXT or a RESUME I_FIXED_IT, in which case you remain in the same context. BUT if you cannot fix the error, you have to let the routine do an EXIT SUB or a RESIGNAL. In so doing, you implicitly or explicitly drop the current call frame from the stack along with every variable that had been declared and placed in the call frame. In other words, after unfixable errors, you de-allocate the memory that HELD those variables. So your variable and object pointers now point to unallocated memory. Which is pretty much the definition of "Nothing." (OK, technically, they point to address 0, which IS unallocatable memory.)

IF your error handler isn't even written in the currently routine, Access must traverse up the stack to find a prior call frame with a defined but currently inactive error handler. That means you could end up removing TWO routines - and their variables - from the stack by collapsing the call frames. (You can look up the term "Unwind the stack" for a fuller definition.) You can unwind the stack as far as needed as long as you are still working on your own routines. But what happens if you don't HAVE a trap handler?

Have I mentioned the "Last Chance" error handler? No? If your trap gets handled there, you have traversed ALL of your application's stack and have stepped into MSACCESS.EXE stack. Remember that I said things get de-allocated from the stack on an Unwind operation? If you leave your application's stack behind, EVERYTHING becomes "nothing" and that is NOT a good thing.

IF you defined something in a class module (a form class module or a custom "object" class), remember that the code for THAT module only exists until the last (or only) user of that module withdraws from it - by doing an Exit Sub, for example. Again, when the last example of that class object goes away, the declarations and code of the object ALSO go away. When you close a form, the memory associated with that form goes away and the variables become nothing. See the trend here?

The final nail in this coffin is if you ever get to the point that you execute a RESET then just about everything becomes de-allocated. Some of our members have found a few structures that persist a reset operation. By the way, if you ever see a message box that gives you the choice of "DEBUG" or "RESET" ... you have just hit the Last Chance handler. It would be rare to see the "RESUME" option not blanked out for that box, because most of the time your situation will not ALLOW that option.

Which leaves us with the general module declaration area and any public variables therein. The RESET operation usually leaves you with ALL memory structures having been de-allocated with the few exceptions our other members have found. So the answer to your question is, you have an error that reached the Last Chance handler and you had to do a RESET. And there went your variables.

I think this only happens for unhandled errors. Try adding code to trap the error and resume normally. Does the problem still occur.

Many thanks to both of you for your help. It will take me some thinking to assimilate The_Doc_Man's tutorial, but his explanation makes sense. I do have error handling in my procedures, but it's certainly possible that the code in those handlers isn't correct, or that I'm not fixing the error properly. I'll work with it some more, especially with the error handlers, and post again when I have more information.

Incidentally, I liked the The_Doc_Man's label for error handling (ON ERROR GOTO CATCH_THE_WABBIT). For what it's worth, the label I always use is ON ERROR GOTO D_oh, in homage to Homer Simpson.

For me, Elmer Fudd is the MAN!

My favorite error message of all time was buried in an accdb which I took over from another developer. Apparently one of the users had earned a reputation.

The error message in one procedure was something like this:

MsgBox "Invalid Date. If this was you again Steven, you're fired!"

OpenVMS had a "loose" group of developers including Dave Cutler (who went on to develop Windows NT). One of the error messages was "Your hovercraft is full of eels." He also had significant input to Digital Equipment Corp's TOPS-10 networking software in which one of the in-line code comments says "Dave Cutler swears this will work."

Many thanks to both of you for your help. It will take me some thinking to assimilate The_Doc_Man's tutorial, but his explanation makes sense. I do have error handling in my procedures, but it's certainly possible that the code in those handlers isn't correct, or that I'm not fixing the error properly. I'll work with it some more, especially with the error handlers, and post again when I have more information.

Incidentally, I liked the The_Doc_Man's label for error handling (ON ERROR GOTO CATCH_THE_WABBIT). For what it's worth, the label I always use is ON ERROR GOTO D_oh, in homage to Homer Simpson.
Clearly you don't have every error handled because the problem you described is the result of an unhandled error.

The other issue with error handling is deciding how you can continue and recover from the error. Sometimes you can just "on error resume next", but often you need to really understand the error message and code, and work out how your programme needs to behave to recover from the error.

It's often not easy at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom