Solved Odd error in my database (1 Viewer)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:40
One of my clients had a strange issue yesterday. A well behaved database refused to open, with a message that an unnamed query was corrupt. I think this error may have existed for a few days.

There were unapplied office (and possibly windows) updates. They applied all the office updates, and the database returned to normal usage.

I never got around to investigating in detail as installing updates sorted everything. This was office 365 v16

Scott_Hall

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:40
At this point I couldn't rule anything out. I am waiting for the patch on 8/2 with crossed fingers. If it doesn't fix this issue for me I'm not sure what will happen next.

Right now I have actual decision makers who are questioning whether or not we should dump Access entirely since Microsoft keeps breaking it. Of course this is bad for me as a developer, but the reality is that this keeps happening and the end users are tired of things breaking down because Microsoft hates their own product.

I am in the middle of a project moving all of our data to SQL Server, and when that is done the most likely outcome is that I'll be told to drop Access for some other FE system. 😞

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:40
The big issue is that redeveloping a big access project in some other language is likely to be an expensive and complicated project. It's just not that easy

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
At this point I couldn't rule anything out. I am waiting for the patch on 8/2 with crossed fingers. If it doesn't fix this issue for me I'm not sure what will happen next.

Right now I have actual decision makers who are questioning whether or not we should dump Access entirely since Microsoft keeps breaking it. Of course this is bad for me as a developer, but the reality is that this keeps happening and the end users are tired of things breaking down because Microsoft hates their own product.

I am in the middle of a project moving all of our data to SQL Server, and when that is done the most likely outcome is that I'll be told to drop Access for some other FE system. 😞
Dropping Access is going to be easier said than done. You know how many hours you've invested in developing your current solutions. Now double that and tell the powers that be you'll probably need at least that much time for the transition.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Today, 15:40
On Monday, I created a discussion on an issue that happened on a new database that's been stable for several months. Client (aka my Hubby) rebooted his computer and then it worked. It could have been updates on the server.

Scott_Hall

Registered User.
Local time
Let me preface this with: I work in a government agency, where people can get away with amazingly bad behavior. /Rant On

Regarding dropping Access. It is likely that I won't be given a say in the matter. As we all know, IT teams often hate Access and would like nothing better than to see it go away. Seriously, our IT would rather us have no solution at all than have a working one with Access. This would not be the first time they deprecated a piece of software without providing a new application to cover the functionality. If Access were not part of Office, it would already be gone.

My team is 30ish people and manages about $50 million in projects through my database. Our twin department in the company is six hundred people managing almost $500 million in projects...and they don't have real solution at all. They use a whole list of systems (eight by my last count) that even combined do less than my solution. My team is constantly pushed to abandon everything we do to follow the other side of the company, despite the fact that we are closer on budget, schedule, and scope virtually every year. The fact that we use a singular Access database to manage all of our work is often held up as a bad thing. It is mindboggling.

And then we have 2022...where my unified system that has run since 2011 has failed repeatedly because of Microsoft patches, and some of them have taken weeks to get resolved. The users don't care that it isn't my fault, they care that the system doesn't work. IT doesn't make any effort to help resolve the issues. As soon as they hear Access it becomes "well there's yer problem". They refuse to roll back the bad patches as they apparently come in corporate patch bundles. So I am stuck waiting for Microsoft to fix the problem...again.

Right now my workaround has been to not create an accde. I simply rename the accdb to fake it until the problem is fixed. Obviously a poor solution but this is my only option at the moment. I tried creating an accdr but it suffers the same crash as a accde.

Scott_Hall

Registered User.
Local time
On Monday, I created a discussion on an issue that happened on a new database that's been stable for several months. Client (aka my Hubby) rebooted his computer and then it worked. It could have been updates on the server.
I was following your discussion. I think your are correct and this whole thing comes back to those patches, but unfortunately I can't roll them back or do hotfix patches (if one is available). I have to wait for the full corrected patch to work its way down to my users.

Scott_Hall

Registered User.
Local time
Well the issue has resolved itself with the latest MS patch. Now if they can manage to not break Access for a few months maybe I can rebuild confidence in my users.

pataanaa2

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:10
When I create a brand new Access database right now using 2016 and check CurrentProject.FileFormat...I still get a result of 12. So I think that 12 is correct for accdb 2007-2019?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom