Oh, the ignominy of it all

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:52
Looks like Microsoft has found yet another "fan" of some of its older software.

Southwest Airlines is still using Win 3.1 - which is why when CloudStrike went nuts earlier, shutting down most of the airline booking and other related systems, Southwest wasn't affected at all. Their software runs on a 32-year-old version of Windows. Software so old that the CloudStrike anti-virus package doesn't (probably can't) run on it. Of course, if they are using Win 3.1, the question is, what version of DOS is underneath it? Because Win 3.1 is a layered app that you manually launch on top of a DOS command prompt. Last version I recall for MS-DOS was something around 6.2 or thereabouts. I'll bet that doesn't conform to most modern-day security guidelines. Back then, the "Orange Book" was still in effect, but a DOS base system wouldn't even qualify for C2 security levels.

I wonder how long it has been since THEY have had a Windows Update? And I wonder how long it will take hackers to resurrect some of their older code that can attack DOS and the layered version of Windows (vs. the intrinsic version that started with Win NT.)

I have a pilot friend who works for America Airlines. He told me that among the pilot community, Southwest was known for cutting corners, but... 30-year-old operating system software? Holy guacamole!

Southwest Airlines is still using Win 3.1 - which is why when CloudStrike went nuts earlier, shutting down most of the airline booking and other related systems, Southwest wasn't affected at all. Their software runs on a 32-year-old version of Windows. Software so old that the CloudStrike anti-virus package doesn't (probably can't) run on it. Of course, if they are using Win 3.1, the question is, what version of DOS is underneath it? Because Win 3.1 is a layered app that you manually launch on top of a DOS command prompt. Last version I recall for MS-DOS was something around 6.2 or thereabouts. I'll bet that doesn't conform to most modern-day security guidelines. Back then, the "Orange Book" was still in effect, but a DOS base system wouldn't even qualify for C2 security levels.

I wonder how long it has been since THEY have had a Windows Update? And I wonder how long it will take hackers to resurrect some of their older code that can attack DOS and the layered version of Windows (vs. the intrinsic version that started with Win NT.)

I have a pilot friend who works for America Airlines. He told me that among the pilot community, Southwest was known for cutting corners, but... 30-year-old operating system software? Holy guacamole!
When I first read this, I thought of the Russians still using vacuum tubes for many of military applications. Low or old tech can come in handy in situations like this. If they just kept is secret that they were using windows 3.1, they might be impenetrable, but now the secret is out. Who is willing to dust off their floppies? :)

Probably a test run for November, remember Elections are just around the corner.

Who is willing to dust off their floppies?

I just bulk-erased a bunch of my old floppies last week. My only remaining machine that had floppy drives was a Win 7 box that I no longer use but have not discarded quite yet.

:) At least you can still buy USB floppy drives on Amazon (and discs). And anyone still got copies of Access 2?

Moral of the story - if it ain't broke don't fix it. Let's face it most Microsoft upgrades are simply to let them keep selling.

Last edited:

My wife worked briefly for American Airlines and can attest that the airline industry in general, including some softwares that they share between all airlines, is astoundingly old fashioned. Apparently Southwest takes the cake

But I have no ill will toward them - best passenger experience by a long shot on SW.

My wife worked briefly for American Airlines and can attest that the airline industry in general, including some softwares that they share between all airlines, is astoundingly old fashioned. Apparently Southwest takes the cake

But I have no ill will toward them - best passenger experience by a long shot on SW.
My brother is in the process of lodging a complaint against Southwest for a recent trip that left his family stranded in airport. 🤷‍♂️ Ya win some, ya lose some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom