Opening Multiple Instances of the Same form.

ions

Access User
Local time
Today, 11:11
Dear Access Expert

I wanted to know if there is an article on how to set up multiple instances of a form. (Forms with bound controls and unbound Controls)

I have many forms that have many features in common and if I want to change something I have to update multiple forms which is a hassle. (The features I am refering to are basically filtering criteria that are present at the top of many forms.)

I was thinking of creating a subform which would contain these common features and then just stick this subform in my forms. My concern is how will Access Handle 3 copies of the same subform opened at once?

I want the subforms to hold different data values based on the user's input; in other words I want the 3 subforms to be seperate entities and not synchronized. (NOTE: all the controls are UnBOUND)

NOW let's take the same scenario but Assume that the controls have a control source (a query) The query would use the Screen.ActiveForm![control] method to obtain criteria dynamically based on the form.

There must be a way to address both types of scenarios .....

Thank you so much.

I like your thinking! Something I've been messing around with for a while.

Item seven here: demonstrates how to use one single form for several different scenarios.

I realize it's not exactly what you're looking for, I have another example somewhere of using the same form multiple times as a sub form.

The above link to Gary Robinson is from this thread which I started in 2003. There is also an example in this thread here: of a typical "Time Management Matrix" which personal development coaches will insist you use! This example uses one single form as a subform four times on the main form!

I now have a slightly more advanced version of this form, where it treats the sub forms as objects and sets all of the properties in a for next routine. But really the only benefit is less lines of code, and this older example is much clearer.

Thank you Uncle Gizmo

Yes I recognize that time Matrix from Stephen Covey's ... 7 Habits of Successful people.

Thank you for those database examples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom