Perpetual Access license + Runtime

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:30
Am I correct to assume that the latest perpetual version of Access is 2021? If yes, is another version expected in 2024?

At present I am using A13 for development and A13 Runtime for deployment.

I understand that Microsoft is pushing O365, which I have and have done development using A365.

I want to "upgrade" my A13 application which is deployed using the A13 Runtime, to say A21 with the A21 Runtime and I want to be independent of any Office installed.

When I type in Google "MS Access 2013 Runtime download", I get the two options, 32bit and 64bit.

When I type in Google "MS Access 2021 Runtime download", I get "Download and install Microsoft 365 Access Runtime" and it mentions that the specific Runtime will be installed based on the existing Office installation.

What if no Office is installed? What Runtime is installed?

If Office 2019 is installed, how can I install A21 Runtime?

All I want is to develop in A21 and be able to install A21 Runtime, irrespective of the existence of any version of Office.

i think there is only O365 runtime for 2019-2024, O365 version of access.

Yes, there will be a consumer 2024 version of Office.

"Office 2024 for consumers

We are also planning to release a new version of on-premises Office for consumers later this year: Office 2024. Office 2024 will also be supported for five years with the traditional “one-time purchase” model. We do not plan to change the price for these products at the time of the release. We will announce more details about new features included in Office 2024 closer to general availability. "

The LTSC, or Long Term Servicing Channel, version is now in preview.

"Microsoft Office LTSC 2024 for commercial preview includes Access, Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Skype for Business, and Word."

So is there only one Runtime for A19-A24?
As of this writing, the most current Runtime is the M365 version. There was, IIRC, a 2016 version of the runtime but no versions specific to 2019 or 2021.

Is it true to say that you can develop with A365 and use the generic A365 Runtime?

As of this writing, the most current Runtime is the M365 version. There was, IIRC, a 2016 version of the runtime but no versions specific to 2019 or 2021.
Are you referring to the Access Runtime that comes with Microsoft 365? Is this something fixed or does it get updated?

Would you use A365 for development and the generic Runtime, or use a perpetual license like A21 and I guess the same generic Runtime?

I guess if you use A365 the developing environment would not be that stable.

I think the development platform you choose is the one that best fits your needs and preferences.

The Runtime does not "come with Microsoft 365". It is a separate download.

Why would you think that the A365 development environment is any more, or any less, stable than any other? On what do you base that hypothesis?

I think the development platform you choose is the one that best fits your needs and preferences.

The Runtime does not "come with Microsoft 365". It is a separate download.

Why would you think that the A365 development environment is any more, or any less, stable than any other? On what do you base that hypothesis?
By default, A365 updates are downloaded automatically without any intervention. That could be good or bad, if you compare it with for example A2019 where the software is fixed. I would expect that an A2019 environment would be more stable, because updates are controlled.

By default, A365 updates are downloaded automatically without any intervention. That could be good or bad, if you compare it with for example A2019 where the software is fixed. I would expect that an A2019 environment would be more stable, because updates are controlled.
I just tried to download and install the A365 Runtime from

1723304556214.png

When I clicked on 32-bit Download, it downloaded a file called "OfficeSetup.exe". When I clicked on this file it tried to install Office. Am I doing something wrong? Also it asked to check the version number of the installation, but has not made use of this info.

Is there an easy way to install the Runtime?

They are both called OfficeSetUp.exe :-)

I ran it and it installed Access Runtime 2016. The executable should be called RuntimeSetup.exe
The surprises never end. I tried to invoke A365 and received the following

1723351299036.png

Is there any logic to this?

So now I cannot open A365 and create a new blank database?

View attachment 115577

I tried to remove the Runtime and it is telling me

1723352101046.png

When it finished it told me that it removed Office. It did not. It just removed the Runtime.

Am I the only one getting these messages?

I tried to remove the Runtime and it is telling me

View attachment 115578

When it finished it told me that it removed Office. It did not. It just removed the Runtime.

Am I the only one getting these messages?
Here is the message
1723352913707.png

A logical person would expect that Office has been removed. Only the Runtime has been removed.

View attachment 115577

Yes, those installing the runtime DO NOT HAVE Access. That is the whole point of installing the runtime. :(
If you want to test your DB running with the runtime, then I believe just changing the extension to accdr will emaulate that?

Yes, those installing the runtime DO NOT HAVE Access. That is the whole point of installing the runtime. :(
If you want to test your DB running with the runtime, then I believe just changing the extension to accdr will emaulate that?
This is not the case for example with A2013. I can run A2013, do design etc and I am able to use the A2013 Runtime.

The Runtime is used to run a specific application on a pc, but I still want to be able to do design work using Access. I do not want to be refused use of Access because I have an application that uses the Runtime. This is very limiting.

Remembering that O365 has been rebranded to M365,

1) Can I install just the M365 Runtime on a pc that has no M365? This is important for users who do not use M365.
2) Why in my case was "Access Runtime 2016" installed? I read that this is a known problem to Microsoft.
3) I could not find a relation table between the Version of the M365 product and the traditional Office for example 16, 19, 21

you essentially have two versions of Access installed on one machine. When you dbl-click on a file, which should open? This is an issue whenever you have multiple versions of Access installed. Do NOT install the runtime on your development machine. When you want to test the effect of using the runtime, rename the FE to .accdr. That tells Access to pretend to be the runtime engine.

1. The runtime engine is not dependent on any other Office component unless of course, your app needs them.
2. You can never install the version of the runtime that = the version of your full Access. So, apparently, MS installs the first older version. That avoids a conflict that would happen when O365 automatically updates to the newer version.
3. Don't understand the question. There should be no difference between a perpetual license and the same version of O365. However, the O365 will include fixes that the perpetual license does not include since the perpetual license version is static but the O365 version is updated between full version releases.

PS, you should be developing in the oldest version your users have installed. You should not be developing in a newer version.

If you really need a runtime version (I.e. for whatever reason a .accdr does not meet you needs), use a virtual machine with the runtime installed on it.

Recommend a minimum 16gb memory on your machine otherwise performance will suffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom