Phone Link Win 11 Automation (1 Viewer)

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 12:33
Is there some undocumented way to control the Phone Link in Win 11 from Ms Access?
Or to create live SQL or even Excel data from the phone?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:33
I noticed that your post has yet to receive a reply. ..

Hence I have bumped it up the list so that others may view it and you may get an answer. If you mean a physical landline, then I imagine you would need an electronic box plugged into the phone line to gather the information you require. I have no idea if this is possible.

If you mean an internet phone, then in the past I have written code that will call a given number through Skype, but I doubt very much if Skype works like that anymore.

Maybe providing more information might be a good start!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:33
If your home phone is VOIP through a router, it is possible using software (though I've never done it.) IF this is what you are asking, do a web search on "Connect VOIP through my computer" or "Connect VOIP through router to computer". Some articles I noted named one or the other type of downloadable software. If I post the link, it might be mistaken as me recommending this software, but I have no experience. It would be better for you to do the evaluation.

IF, on the other hand, you are looking at RS-232-C connections, this is your serial port which should have a built-in modem. There is a "ZMODEM protocol" that you can look up. Again, I cannot tell you much about it because it has been a bunch of years since I had to play with that and time has marched on considerably since I have had to do that. But yes, the serial port (if modern computers still have them) should be able to dink around with phone company land-line connections.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Good Morning All.
I'm revisiting this.
This project is about connecting an Access Database with an Android or Apple Phone or tablet.
Windows 11 has a basic connection which works extremely well for Text Messaging.

Remote Phone Call has had a dialer for both systems for a decade or so. It works great for phone calls, and it has integration with 32 bit version of Access.

There is the dilemma. I'm trying to add these functions to Access 64bit because I keep getting system resources issues. Part of me says to abandon this and build a phone app that talks to a cloud SQL source and move on.

What are y'alls thought?

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
This is actually kind of amazing that I seem to be the only one interested in this subject.
I would think that managing communications would be a high priority for many people.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:33
Remote Phone Call has had a dialer for both systems for a decade or so. It works great for phone calls, and it has integration with 32 bit version of Access.

There is the dilemma. I'm trying to add these functions to Access 64bit because I keep getting system resources issues.
Does the .Net API of Remote Phone Call work on 64bit? If yes, you could use that instead of the COM API for your Access/VBA integration.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Does the .Net API of Remote Phone Call work on 64bit? If yes, you could use that instead of the COM API for your Access/VBA integration.
That's interesting that you mention that. I had that same question, I didn't mention it because I was hoping someone would. Thanks for that.
I know Nex to mothing when if comes to programming in .NET.
Do you think I could get the Chat GPT tp write that?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:33
I know Nex to mothing when if comes to programming in .NET.
Do you think I could get the Chat GPT tp write that?
Well, first thing to check would be whether the classes of the .NET API are COM Visible. If yes, you can use them directly in Access/VBA without even writing a single line of code in .Net.
Unfortunately, as the vendor had a dedicated COM API, it is unlikely that they also exposed the .NET API to COM. Then you would need to write a shallow, COM Visible wrapper around the required functionality, to make their .NET API accessible from Access/VBA.

I cannot comment on ChatGPT's abilities, but given the right context, ChatGPT can do some quite impressive things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom