Poor Video Remote Desktop

the-saint

Local time
Today, 21:22
Hi folks,
was wondering if anyone can help. I have 2 computers running windows Vista Ultimate one in the house, one in the garage. I use remote desktop on the PC in the house to access the PC in the garage.
Everything worked OK until recently when I noticed that the quality of the playback over remote desktop was very poor. This applys to files stored on the hard drive and when accessing sites such as you-tube. The playback is very jittery and stuttering to the extent that it is unwatchable.
I have searched around and updated flash player (correctly) to the latest version as I know there were some issues with that and Vista, but it is still the same and as I use windows media player to try and watch videos stored on the Garage hard drive I don't think the problem is here. Now this used to work very well and I could watch any video content with no problem so I am not sure what is going wrong......can anyone suggest a solution?

Both PC's are of OK specs (AMD Athlon 64x 2 dual core processor 4400+ with 2GB memory, Geforce 7600GT) so hopefully its not that.

Like I said this set up used to work fine so not sure if an automatic update (SP1 for Vista?) has changed any settings so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gordon

Have you checked in Windows Task Manager to see if a service is using a lot of CPU cycles? Ctrl-Alt-Delete, choose task manager, click on Processes, then click on CPU until it shows it Descending.

Hi

OK tried that on main PC. System idle 99%. On Garage its the same. When I start internet explorer and go to a web site with video on it via remote desktop, this only uses between 1 and 2% CPU and video is still very "choppy" so guess it's not that?

Are you talking choppy via the remote link, or choppy on the computer itself?

When you view the videos while sitting in front of the computer, is it still choppy?

no when you view the video on the PC in the garage it is perfect it's just over the remote desktop link that I have the problem. Like I said it used to be fine over the remote desktop but has only recently become un-watchable

Remote software video performance is poor. The software transmits changes to a jpg file from the remote to the local pc. I understand that jpg is a compressed format that loses information. I don't believe there is a "fix" for this...it is the nature of the beast.

yeh but that does not explain how it worked well before? this is a new problem not one I have had since I started using it. As I said before it worked fine for years even when both computers ran windows XP so I am sorry but I don't believe it is the nature of the beast, something has been changed either settings on the PC's or by some update....I just can't fix it back to how it was

For info, I noticed today that my data transfer rate between my 2 vista PC's was painfully slow so I disabled the tcp/ip V.6 on both computers, the result was a faster transfer rate and much better quality video over remote desktop.......worth trying if you are having the same problem as I was.

actually......just cancel that above.....worked ok for a while then has went back to normal.....still very poor video

Can anyone please help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom