post code lookup (1 Viewer)

dtdukes86

Local time
Today, 10:40
hi everyone its been a while since I wrote anything on here,
today I'm after a bit of help again, I'm trying to add a postcode lookup dialog box to my existing database, at the moment we just type in the full address but I think a postcode lookup would save time and be more accurate. I did find some sample lookups on google that worked but not fully, so I'm wondering if anyone has done this before.
as always I'm happy to pay for the help but I'm reluctant to have to sign up for any kind of monthly subscription if it can be avoided.

dtdukes86

Local time
@Gasman hi yes i did a little looking around and I did stumble across @isladogs post. to be honest, it looks amazing but may be too complex for what I'm trying to do, a lot of my system is also designed to plan routes, etc so his system would probably duplicate a lot of the functions I already have (albeit them fair less advanced). some of the ones I found used 192.com but I'm not sure how to make them work. I did look on the royal mail database site but that was rediculous money from the page I found. :-( I'm after a very simple postcode entry form, that produces a list of addresses that the user can pick one from the list and it sticks it into the form. i just don't know how to code or where to start coding a postcode lookup box :(

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
If you want something simpler than my commercial app, try this free cut-down version:

Enter a UK postcode & it finds all the addresses for the postcode and the last sale price for each (where available)
It also shows a map
The data is also based on 192.com so it won't work for postcodes outside the UK

dtdukes86

Local time
@isladogs hi im still trying to get a api key my browser just spins and spins lol . .ill keep trying id be more than happy to pay for a basic version from the screen shots it seems to be promising , thank you

dtdukes86

Local time
@isladogs finally managed to get it working what a nice bit of kit you have created, thank you I will certainly purchase it. Very clever!!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You're welcome. Glad you've finally managed to get a Google API key...
I look forward to receiving your order for the source code.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I thought UK post codes were copyright of the post office.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I thought UK post codes were copyright of the post office.

No. UK Postcode data is available free from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) though it needs some work to make it usable.
It can also be obtained under license from the Post Office or from various resellers

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:40
Being in the US, I haven't looked at @isladogs solution. But something similar is probably available in the US. I'm pretty sure I have found websites where you can post an address and get a zip which can be used for free for small numbers of requests per day using an API. I have not seen any where they will provide a file of addresses within a zip but they might be available also.

dtdukes86

Local time
@isladogs hi i purchased and used your simple post code lookup and its now working perfectly thank you very much for this and the advice. top man! very impressived.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi
Glad you're finding it useful. Hopefully it will save your business a lot of time and therefore more than pay for itself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom