Prevent ALL CAPS Thread Titles? (2 Viewers)

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:57
@Jon, is there any option to prevent thread titles in ALL CAPS?
I got the impression that these are used much more frequently in recent weeks and I find them pretty annoying, as they are hard to read and create a fake (but probably deliberate) impression of increased importance/urgency.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:57
MyThreadTitle = StrConv(MyThreadTitle , vbProperCase) ?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
@Minty , I have my doubts whether a VBA function call will solve the problem in the forum.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:57
IP sources of caps seems to be Africa, but there are others.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@Minty , I have my doubts whether a VBA function call will solve the problem in the forum.
Seems very easy.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I got the impression that these are used much more frequently in recent weeks and I find them pretty annoying, as they are hard to read and create a fake (but probably deliberate) impression of increased importance/urgency.
As trivial as it sounds, I myself will ignore them straight-away. Although am sure the poster did not want to be rude, forum etiquette is so ingrained in me that it is a reflex.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Sometimes you need caps in a title. e.g. USA.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:57
Typically, the members who abuse this particular problem can be identified easily. Simply reply to them that an all-caps title or excess use of all-caps will tend to DECREASE their odds of being answered.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Sometimes you need caps in a title. e.g. USA.
Sure, but not ALL caps. If a thread's title would be just "USA" and nothing else, it would also be a poor title.

Simply reply to them that an all-caps title or excess use of all-caps will tend to DECREASE their odds of being answered.
At least two of the all-caps aficionados received such hints and managed to completely ignore them.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There are no options for an unspecified number of caps.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 00:57
I'd say it's mildly annoying, but I take a different tack. 1st, it's only mildly annoying. I strongly doubt anyone is dumb enough to think that Case will actually get their question answered faster.

I think that from a technical career, I've become mostly indifferent to case, and actually have gotten to where I lean more towards using one case exclusively when coding (it's been not-gently suggested to me by expert SQL guys to do the same, although I do not currently follow it at my job, but only because Redgate changes it).

Thus, to me, someone who puts a title exclusively in all large caps is no 'worse' than people who refuse to capitalize--putting everything in smaller case. In this scenario, I could say they are being just as sloppy as the all-caps guy is being obnoxious.

Plus, as Jon implied just now, how would the 'Solution' decide whether a limited use of all caps, such as a title reading, "How to use WHEN EXISTS in SQL SERVER" was appropriate, or not?

I think it comes more down to style and bias than initially seems like.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There is another option to attempting to separately converting all Upper to some sort of proper case.
Although currently being ignored, purposely or unknowingly, perhaps we could "teach/advise" the OP(s) that
ALL CAPITALIZATION is similar to shouting and is considered poor/bad netiquette. Much like highlighting every WORD or larger fonts.. or meaningless color changes.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 00:57
As long as we devote at least as much effort (I would think more) toward the yet-more-basic grammatical rules like spelling and generally trying to say things correctly ... then that sounds good to me.

From some of these posters, I think deciding when to capitalize is the least of their problems.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
There are no options for an unspecified number of caps.
An option to check for no lower case letters at all would do.
My intention was to inquire/discuss whether there is a suitable and readily available functionality in Xenforo to help with this. If there is none, or you don't like it, the matter is settled for me.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There are no options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom