Problem using VBA to insert records into a table (1 Viewer)

reglarh

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:08
I am getting frustrated at not being able to sort what looks like a simple problem. I am reading through a table looking for duplicate values in the FullName text field. I want to store in a new table the duplicate records I find, storing just the MemberNumber and the FullName. When the VBA code runs and finds duplicates, the SQL statement to insert a new record into the Duplicates table asks for the value of LastMemberNumber and LastFullName when it already has the values and has displayed them in the message boxes! What am I doing wrong?????

The code is:

Private Sub Command0_Click()
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim dbs As Database
Dim LastMemberNumber As Integer
Dim LastFullName As String
Dim SQLStr1 As String
Dim SQLStr2 As String
Dim SQLStr3 As String
Set dbs = CurrentDb
DoCmd.RunSQL "Delete * from DuplicateNames"

SQLStr3 = "select MemberNumber, FullName from Members Order By FullName"
Set rs = dbs.OpenRecordset(SQLStr3)
LastMemberNumber = 0
LastFullName = " "
rs.MoveFirst
Do While Not rs.EOF
If rs!FullName = LastFullName Then
MsgBox "Duplicate" & vbCrLf & "Member name: " & LastFullName
MsgBox "Duplicate" & vbCrLf & "Member number: " & LastMemberNumber
SQLStr1 = "INSERT INTO DuplicateNames ([MemberNumber], [FullName]) VALUES (LastMemberNumber, LastFullName)"
DoCmd.RunSQL SQLStr1
SQLStr2 = "INSERT INTO DuplicateNames ([MemberNumber], [FullName]) VALUES (rs!MemberNumber, rs!FullName)"
DoCmd.RunSQL SQLStr2
End If
LastFullName = rs!FullName
LastMemberNumber = rs!MemberNumber
rs.MoveNext
Loop
MsgBox "End"

Set rs = Nothing
dbs.Close
End Sub

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You have to concatenate the values into the string. Presuming the first is a number and the second is text:

SQLStr2 = "INSERT INTO DuplicateNames ([MemberNumber], [FullName]) VALUES (" & rs!MemberNumber & ", '" & rs!FullName & "')"

reglarh

Registered User.
Local time
Goodness, that was quick! Where would I have found that out?

The code now runs, and seems to write 6 records (which is correct). When I look at the Duplicate table it has 3 records, with all fields, including the autonumber, set to #Deleted.

When I rerun the code again, it warns me that I am going to delete 6 records.

Any ideas?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Did you fix the first SQL too? Can you post the db here?

reglarh

Registered User.
Local time
The answer to the first question is no, I didn't change the other SQL string and it has now worked for the last three runs. I don't quite know what happened but it works and I cannot reproduce the fault mentioned earlier, so sleeping dog etc.!

I don't know whether you can help on another general question. Having developed a system with 30 queries, 21 Forms 20 Reports and a number of other bits and pieces including some 20 bits of Visual Basic, I have a lot of redundant bits and pieces that I cannot be certain are not used deep in the bowels of the system. Is there any free software that can analyse the usage of queries so that I can eliminate unused features?

Many thanks for the help.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would expect the first SQL to have to changed to concatenate the values as well. Otherwise you'd get input prompts.

reglarh

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I am sorry, you are quite correct. I must have changed that one in my sleep!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Ah, sleep-coding, I do that too. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom