Query to concatenate fields and then insert into existing table (1 Viewer)

chartleb

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:13
Hi,

I have a table that has FirstName and LastName in it. I would like to concatenate them to be FullName and then copy the FullName field into a table. I am able to succesfully concatenate using SELECT FirstName & LastName AS FullName but cannot figure out how to reference the query results and INSERT them into tblEmployees.

I've looked at DLookup a bit but im not sure that is the correct route to go.

*EDIT* I have also tried doing a make table with the new concatenated field and then inserting it but then get a validation rule violation. Not sure why because there is no validation rules set...

What would be the best way to concatenate the fields and then insert them into an existing table?

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 14:13
What would be the best way to concatenate the fields and then insert them into an existing table?
The BEST way is to NOT do it. You just create a base query which has that field as concatenated and use it anywhere you would normally use that table.

chartleb

Registered User.
Local time
Ok that makes sense. Bob, can you explain to me why I received the validation rule violation?

chartleb

Registered User.
Local time
The table already has records and im trying to add a new field so I need to update.

Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom