Reading a long text file to insert rows in a table (1 Viewer)

pacctono

Local time
Today, 07:38
Hello, guys!

I am reading a long text file (>140.000 lines) to get the values to be inserted in a table using VBA, but it takes too long (more than 40 minutes). This is my code:

Code:
    entFile = FreeFile()                    ' Returns an Integer representing the next file number available for use by the Open statement.
    txtFile = "D:\CAEES\ENERO-2021.txt"
    Open txtFile For Input As #entFile
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
Debug.Print "Inicio", Now()
    Do While Not EOF(entFile)
        Line Input #entFile, txtEntrada     ' Reads a single line from an open sequential file and assigns it to a String variable.
'Debug.Print "Lngitud de la linea: " & Len(txtEntrada)
        If 79 <= Len(txtEntrada) Then
            txtComprobante = Mid(txtEntrada, 1, 6)
            txtNumero = Mid(txtEntrada, 7, 5)
            txtCuenta = Mid(txtEntrada, 12, 17)
            txtFecha = Mid(txtEntrada, 29, 8)
            txtConcepto = Mid(txtEntrada, 37, 30)
            txtOperacion = Mid(txtEntrada, 67, 1)
            txtMonto = Mid(txtEntrada, 68, 12)
            fecFecha = Format(txtFecha, "00/00/0000")
            If "D" = txtOperacion Then
                monDebe = CCur(txtMonto) / 100#
                monHaber = 0#
            Else
                monDebe = 0#
                monHaber = CCur(txtMonto) / 100#
            End If
'Debug.Print txtComprobante, txtNumero
'
' Insertar los datos en la tabla local
'
            txtMiSql = "INSERT INTO co_comprobantes (lo_asiento_id, en_numero_registro, tx_cuenta, fe_fecha, " & _
                            "tx_concepto, tx_operacion, mo_debe, mo_haber)" & vbCrLf & _
                        "VALUES(" & txtComprobante & ", " & txtNumero & ", '" & txtCuenta & "', " & _
                            "'" & fecFecha & "', '" & txtConcepto & "', '" & txtOperacion & "', " & str(monDebe) & _
                            ", " & str(monHaber) & ")"
            DoCmd.RunSQL txtMiSql
        End If
    Loop
Debug.Print "Final", Now()
    DoCmd.SetWarnings True
    Close #entFile

Can I get any help to do this faster, please?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:38
You could try to use the second method mentioned in this article.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Have you tried the TransferText method? You will have to import the file ONCE manually so you can create an import spec. Once you have created and SAVED the import spec, you can then automate the import by referencing the spec in your TransferText method. Use a reasonably short name for the spec WITHOUT embedded spaces or special characters.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:38
Can I get any help to do this faster, please?
A tiny change that should make it a little bit faster is:
Replace: DoCmd.RunSQL txtMiSql
with: CurrentDb.Execute txtMiSql

For bigger performance improvements, try using the TransferText import, as suggested by @Pat Hartman.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:38
To amplify this, Pat's suggestion is really better than what you are doing, but it doesn't stop you from having to run a query to fix up a few cases.

You can "cheat" by copying a few lines from your file into another file. I.e. keep just a few lines in order to develop the Import Specs. Import that file, which should be easy enough. You might have to "adjust" the data type for the columns - but once that is done the first tie, it should stay as you set it. Then erase the test run and import the entire file.

Using this method, you MIGHT have to run an UPDATE query to go back and fix those cases represented by

Code:
            If "D" = txtOperacion Then
                monDebe = CCur(txtMonto) / 100#
                monHaber = 0#
            Else
                monDebe = 0#
                monHaber = CCur(txtMonto) / 100#
            End If

because the ImportText will not do this kind of fixup in-line.

Beware of one other factor. From your description this might be done often enough that if you use an intermediate table and erase it each time, you will develop a significant case of database bloat. This occurs when the DB file grows in size enough that you need to run a Compact & Repair. If this operation will be frequent enough, you might need to ask about a solution for THAT problem, too. But I don't want to confuse you with too many issues at once.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I almost NEVER import raw data into permanent tables. I use TransferText and TransferSpreadsheet to link to the source file. Then I use an append query to validate/clean up the data while I append it to the permanent tables.

If the data is coming as an export from another application, it is usually clean enough to import directly but I still usually just link and rely on an append query.

xavier.batlle

Local time
You can also link the txt file as a linked table and then execute an insert query.
1718819583988.png

ebs17

Local time
Code:
sSQL = "INSERT INTO co_comprobantes (lo_asiento_id, en_numero_registro, tx_cuenta, fe_fecha," & _
        " tx_concepto, tx_operacion, mo_debe, mo_haber)" & _
        " SELECT F1, F2, F3, Format(F4, '00/00/0000'), F5, F6," & _
        " IIF(F6='D', F7/100, 0) AS monDebe, IIF(F6='D', 0, F7/100) AS monHaber" & _
        " FROM [Text;DSN=NameSpec;FMT=Fixed;HDR=no;IMEX=2;CharacterSet=850;DATABASE=D:\CAEES\].[ENERO-2021.txt]"

CurrentDb.Execute sSQL, dbFailOnError
This looks like a text file with fixed lengths. To do this, you create the import specification once, which would then be used within the query
=> NameSpec

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom