Replication ID (1 Viewer)

bightme_99

Local time
Today, 10:22
I have a database with several tables in it. One table contains a list of names and some general information about each contact. Each contact is also assigned a Replication ID (ContactID - unique to each individual). Then I have another table with notes for each contact. I set this up with a subform which links the Replication ID's from both tables. Therefore when I select any contact in the main form, the subform only displays those records (from the SECOND table) that have the same ContactID as the primary.

Here's my question. I have a whole bunch of different tables relating to the original client table. I want to be able to create forms WITHOUT subforms that will pull the names from the primary table, but will still let me view in Continuous Form View and edit/add data to the "sub" table. In other words, I want to place fields from the main table and the seondary table in the same form without using a subform. I don't think I can use a query, because then I won't be able to add new entries to the 2nd table. All I need from the Primary table is the name.

Also, the name doesn't have to be edditable. It just needs to be displayed. I think what I am saying is that the table/form should refference the primary table (using the ContactID) and pull up the name. This should then be displayed in the form, without actually recording the name in another table. I want to do this from multiple tables.

I hope I have been clear.

I really appreciate any help anyone can supply me with!

Thanks in advance.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:22
I'm not sure why you think that a query won't work, a query will work just fine. Join the two tables and select which ever fields you want from both recordsources. Use the query as the recordsource for the continuous form. After you build the form, it would be best if you lock the fields from the one-side table so that no one accidentally updates them.

You don't usually build forms this way because the static fields from the one side table take up a lot of horizontal space and they look like duplicate data.

bightme_99

Local time
I have a database with several tables in it. One table contains a list of names and some general information about each contact. Each contact is also assigned a Replication ID (ContactID - unique to each individual). Then I have another table with notes for each contact. I set this up with a subform which links the Replication ID's from both tables. Therefore when I select any contact in the main form, the subform only displays those records (from the SECOND table) that have the same ContactID as the primary.

Here's my question. I have a whole bunch of different tables relating to the original client table. I want to be able to create forms WITHOUT subforms that will pull the names from the primary table, but will still let me view in Continuous Form View and edit/add data to the "sub" table. In other words, I want to place fields from the main table and the seondary table in the same form without using a subform. I don't think I can use a query, because then I won't be able to add new entries to the 2nd table. All I need from the Primary table is the name.

Also, the name doesn't have to be edditable. It just needs to be displayed. I think what I am saying is that the table/form should refference the primary table (using the ContactID) and pull up the name. This should then be displayed in the form, without actually recording the name in another table. I want to do this from multiple tables.

I hope I have been clear.

I really appreciate any help anyone can supply me with!

Thanks in advance.

bightme_99

Local time
Sorry about the last post. This is what I meant to write:

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I tried creating a query, but it didn't accomplish what I need. I'll try to explain again:

I have a list of students in one table. That table includes general information about the students, like address, phone number, etc.

I have another table for Class Attendance. What I would like to set up, is a list of all the students that had class that day (using a query) with check boxes to check off that they came or not. However, I don't want this info in the main table, since each week, each student will receive a new entry.

Therefore, I figured that I should be able to pull up a list based on the FamilyID which will be identical in both tables and just check off yes/no in the Attendance table. The Attendance table will have an entry for every student, each day. The entry will include the date, the FamilyID, Attended (yes/no), Instructor (Name of instructor) and Note (memo field).

I don't want the name to be copied into the table, because I need to set up several similar tables, each with daily entries, and I don't want the name to be entered each time. Also, I want the entries to be linked through the FamilyID so I can refference them anywhere in the database.

I hope that explains it better.

I tried to create a query that combines the two tables and then a form based on it, but the query is blank, since there are no entries in the Attendance table. What I want to happen is the form should pull up a list of students whom I could then check off. The checks and notes should then be stored (along with the date and any other additional info) in the Attendance table.

I feel I am being redundant here, and I apologize for that. But it's difficult to explain exactly what I want to do. If need be I will copy my database with no data and upload it, but that is tedious and I'd rather not.

Thanks again in advance.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:22
Just because the query is empty doesn't mean that it isn't updateable. If you type in the studentID or use a combobox to select it, the rest of the fields from the one-side table will fill in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom