Solved Running an Access application on Windows 11 laptop (1 Viewer)

sandstone

Local time
Today, 09:42
I have an MS Access application that I use every day in my work and that I have been transferring from laptop to laptop for many years, with slight tweaks. Usually, the main issue is installing the various .ocx and .dll files in the sys or sys32 directories. My W10 laptop, on which it is currently running, is nearing the end of its life and I am trying to get my setup running on a W11 laptop. However, I still have some MISSING references - IE Super label (ielabel.ocx), IE popup label (iemeu.ocx), ISCtrls OLE Control module (ISCTRLS.OCX) and SmartControls OLE Control module (SmartControls.ocx). It appears not only that simply placing the files in the correct directory is insufficient but that the updated versions of the files may be required to run on a 64-bit PC. I'd be very grateful for any help to accomplish this

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
You can add the missing references yourself?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:42
You can't just copy the referenced files. You need to "install" them so that Windows recognizes them.

sandstone

Local time
You can't just copy the referenced files. You need to "install" them so that Windows recognizes them.
Thanks. How do I do that and do you know where I can get copies of the 64-bit compatible files?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:42
I have no idea what ActiveX controls you need or where they came from. Use Tools/References to see what you have installed. Find their website and download the install file to your new PC. When you double click on the .exe, that will install the controls correctly.

When I download software, I save the installation file because I know I will need it again if I have to reinstall the software. I also save it on CD to make recovery a little easier if it comes to that. The label on the CD includes the Key.

sandstone

Local time
Thanks very much for the help. I have managed to download and register 3 of the 5 .ocx files that I need. However, I have not managed to register ISCTRLS.ocx, although I have found and downloaded the 32-bit version and it is still a missing reference. I can't find a 64-bit version. I am also unable to find the SmartControls OLE Control module, SmartControls.ocx. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 01:42
Thanks very much for the help. I have managed to download and register 3 of the 5 .ocx files that I need. However, I have not managed to register ISCTRLS.ocx, although I have found and downloaded the 32-bit version and it is still a missing reference. I can't find a 64-bit version. I am also unable to find the SmartControls OLE Control module, SmartControls.ocx. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
There probably is no 64 bit version for those ActiveX controls. Many such controls never were converted to 64-bit. It depends on the original creator, and whether they later decided to support the 64 bit versions of their controls. If not, there won't be one.

You have a couple of choices:
  • Revert to 32 bit Office and use the 32 bit versions of the controls
  • Replace the non-working 32 bit ActiveX controls with other methods which do work under 64 bit Office

sandstone

Local time
There probably is no 64 bit version for those ActiveX controls. Many such controls never were converted to 64-bit. It depends on the original creator, and whether they later decided to support the 64 bit versions of their controls. If not, there won't be one.

You have a couple of choices:
  • Revert to 32 bit Office and use the 32 bit versions of the controls
  • Replace the non-working 32 bit ActiveX controls with other methods which do work under 64 bit Office
Thanks. I hadn't realised that the 32-bit version of Office 365 would be OK in W11, but this has completely solved my problem and my application appears to be running normally. Thanks very much to everyone for your help.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 01:42
Thanks. I hadn't realised that the 32-bit version of Office 365 would be OK in W11, but this has completely solved my problem and my application appears to be running normally. Thanks very much to everyone for your help.
Microsoft does not go out of their way to document compatibility of OS and Office versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom