Searching Access World Forums

yeatmanj

Loose Cannon
Local time
Yesterday, 23:54
I have been on this site since 2000. I really appreciate the site and all the effort that must go into maintaining it. However, I am writing this post to vent.

I have noticed a lot of people taking abuse about not searching the forums before posting. In 5 years I have seen a lot of posts on this site. It is very difficult and time consuming to search and read every post looking for an answer. Especially, if you do not know exactly what you are looking for or how to search for it.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I really get tired of being told to search for it. If you know there is something on the forums that relates to what someone is looking for, refer them to it. Don't give them negative rep and criticize them without knowing their situation first. I always read the help and search carefully before I post. Posting, for me, is a last resort. I have spent many hours searching these forums for solutions to my problems. So just back off!

I agree. Although sometimes a good slap on the hand is needed. If someone is asking a question that has been asked like a million times then i see no problem slapping a hand. Also i think you can tell by their question whether they are actually trying to fix a problem or just want to finish their homework. The homework people need to be smacked down.

Just my 2 cents.

yeatmanj said:
It is very difficult and time consuming to search and read every post looking for an answer. Especially, if you do not know exactly what you are looking for or how to search for it.
Most people that answer a question with the 'try a search' answer usually offer the poster wording to help the search - i.e. "try searching for Cascading ComboBoxes"

And Hooks is quite correct, - alot of teachers in schools tell pupils to use this site. Sadly, the pupils expect regular posters to do their coursework for them. They want the easy way out, not searching this site, not using Access help (which is very good)

I have been in the position where I have not known what to search for - ok, then say so. Ask for keywords to assist. If you can't find anything relevant after a while, just say so - if you indicate you want help in searching.

Most regular posters here are more than happy to help if they have time.

Col

And...the winner is Mr. Ghuson (Circuit City guy).

He seeeems to be the one that often asks posters to use the search utility. I'm sorry, man!

supercharge said:
And...the winner is Mr. Ghuson (Circuit City guy).

He seeeems to be the one that often asks posters to use the search utility. I'm sorry, man!

Nonsense,

Ghudson is one of those giving the most appropriate answers on any question
and helped out hundreds of those who lacked to do a search before asking.
If there is any ranking to do, I would place Ghudson second ( after Pat Hartman).

Does it really matter who asks people to search the most? Ghudson usually only asks people to search when it was posted within that very same week! (i.e...the students) I agree that there has to be a line drawn on when it is appropriate, but there is no need to name names. If the mods and admins see a problem with anyone, they will let them know in private without the need to publically call them out.

I've seen the same question from different posters on the same new posts page, the first answered, some people don't search. Also I've seen questions that are simply answered in Access Help, sure searching can be difficult sometimes but it is a skill that isn't learnt by not doing it.

Brian

supercharge said:
And...the winner is Mr. Ghuson (Circuit City guy). He seeeems to be the one that often asks posters to use the search utility. I'm sorry, man!

Hmm...I checked all posts started by supercharge. On the ones where a question is asked, Ghudson answered most of them, or gave a link to the answer.

Here

here

here

here

and here

I have found over the years, that when I search for something on this forum, I usually find the answer, and stumble onto several other useful ideas along the way. Keep up the good work, Ghudson. Most of us admire your work, your assistance and your expertise. Some people are never satisfied.

MrsGorilla said:
You've misspelt male. :cool:
Well as you know it's very rare for me to start or even get involved in a controversial subject but I spelt the word correctly in the first instance :cool:

Besides, males are easily satisfied, we don't have needs. :D

I'll have to actually, dare I say it, agree with Rich on this one.

Vassago said:
Besides, males are easily satisfied,

No, not really. :D I'd have to disagree there...

Vassago said:
we don't have needs. :D

Just because your needs are sometimes different than that of a woman, doesn't mean you don't have them. :D

Vassago said:
I'll have to actually, dare I say it, agree with Rich on this one.

Of course, you're a male. :cool:

MrsGorilla said:
No, not really. :D I'd have to disagree there...
That's another female trait, argumentative...........

Just because your needs are sometimes different than that of a woman, doesn't mean you don't have them.

No, but ours are much easier to identify and thus satisfy

Of course, you're a male.

Thank god for that, otherwise we'd suffer from unexplained and unpredictable mood swings :cool:

Hi guys and gals,

I'm sorry that some of you took my comments offensively. I agree that Mr. Ghuson has been a great help in this forum and he did help out lots of folk here, including myself. I too, for a couple of times, did ask posters to use the Search utility.

However, I found it unnecessary to keep asking the posters to use the utility. If you see that the questions have been answered before and if you're nice enough, give a link to it. If not, heck with it, just read the move on; don't even reply because the questions have already been answered somewhere or just too easy and eventually they will be resolved by someone else.

Thanks and cheers

Rich said:
Thank god for that, otherwise we'd suffer from unexplained and unpredictable mood swings :cool:

It not unexplained, it's called PMS....Putting up with Mens Sh**. :D

Completely explainable I think!!

selenau837 said:
It not unexplained, it's called PMS....Putting up with Mens Sh**. :D

Completely explainable I think!!

My daughters will love that.

Brian

Brianwarnock said:
My daughters will love that.

Brian

I wish I could say I created that, but I can't. Still doesn't make it any less funny. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom