Second Keyboard (1 Viewer)

O

OPMCoordinator

Hello all!

This is probably in the wrong place as I think it is more a hardware question, but here goes.

I am thinking of ways to speed up data entry. I have used a barcode scanner in one of my apps before in conjunction with printed barcodes on stickies that go on the paper form which then travels around the desks throughout the factory. The idea is when it comes back to the data editing point (several times during the progression of the authorising and distributing procedure) you scan the barcoe and the relevant bits pop up for editing in the database. That works fine. It was then I learnt about the autotab property of a control box to get around having to press enter.

I have just looked into the onkeypress event to capture and can enter a date into a control box with one key press (1 for yesterday, 2 for the day before, 3 for the day before that etc) and that works REALLY well.

I now wish to get a keyboard and label the buttons with codes and colours and use the above method to really speed up data entry. Imagine this;
Top line on the keyboard (numerics) "today", "yesterday", "Sunday", "Monday"...
q through p relabelled as infeed product codes
a through l relabelled as operator names
z through m labelled as outfeed product codes
numeric pad left as normal.

data entry to provide information for date/infeed product/operator and outfeed codes can then go in with 4 bangs on the keyboard, with the volume another 5 or so (with an enter) on the numeric. I reckon about 5 secs to enter a record aint too bad.

It will also mean very little training will be required to enter the data - therefore the opreators can enter it themselves - therefore no need for a data entry person!!!!!!

my question therefore...
can you plug two keyboards into a computer at once and have them both operational. (the pcs in the factory also need to be used for normal computing - budget is tight)

Any comments and opinions on this whole concept also very welcome.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom