setup email server (smtp / outbound) (1 Viewer)

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:13
My program uses CDO code to send emails. It works well, but I need to know how the email server (smtp/outbound) is set. Is it just the ISP of the user just understood? I don't know anywhere in my program that specifically sets it based on the sender's email address.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:13
I'm not clear what you are asking.
If you haven't already done so, I suggest you test using my example CDO app

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:13
Basically, you have to identify an SMTP gateway machine (usually by name or IP address) and one of the things you set up for CDO is its gateway. THEN you just send with your TO, FROM, SUBJECT, etc. and CDO knows it has to use the gateway.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:13
Or are you actually asking how to set up the CDO properties, like which schema to use?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:13
I need to know how the email server (smtp/outbound) is set. Is it just the ISP of the user just understood? I don't know anywhere in my program that specifically sets it based on the sender's email address.
There is no general and reliable way to set the mail server configuration automatically just based on the email address of the sender.
You must have the responsible network administrator give the information about this server to you.

If you are willing to put in the effort, you could try to check if there is Autodiscover or Autoconfig information available for the email domain of the sender. If it is configured, it should provide all the info you need. However, it is up to the network administrator whether this is set up or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom