Simple Mailing Facility Within Local Area Network (1 Viewer)

Peter Quill

Local time
Today, 12:41
I am working in an ISOLATED local area network, where there is NO INTERNET connection with the outside world.
The machines are on LAN. I need to make a simple mailing facility, where one user can send mail to other users on another machine.
One machine may be used by more than one person at different times. All machines are installed with MS Office Windows 11 Professional. I can not access/download anything from outside the network. It is NOT possible to install any software on these machines. This looks like a primitive environment, but I am trying to find a simple solution, using MACRO / VBA in Excel.
Can anyone suggest some leads? Thanks

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:41
some thoughts.
if there is a "common" folder (shared folder) on your lan that Anybody can access (read/write), you can
have put a Text file (the message) on that folder (using the name/ip of the recipient + the timestamp).
on the the otherside, the excel file will have an OnTimer event that check the "latest" textfile with the name/ip of his/her on the same folder.
if there is a latest textfile, save the timestamp on some cell and notify the user of the "New message".
the user can open or ignore the message.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:41
The idea of dropping off a message is easy. A shared folder fills that bill. The idea of getting the recipient a notification can be trickier. That requires a "listener" that will look for messages and notify you of their presence. This could be done in Access if you have a configuration that allows it to run in the background with a timer. Once every few minutes, you let the timer trigger a scan for files. If you want to EMULATE the way that Outlook does it, you have a common folder that will be your post office box. Then have sub-folders for NewMsg and InBox and others. Always put the messages in the NewMsg box, but the act of opening them for reading would as a side effect put them into the InBox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom