Split database with RDP

Gkirkup

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:49
I am in the process of splitting a database with about 12 remote users. I am giving each remote user their own front end in their own folder on the server. We have recently installed Microsoft RDP on the server. That is not my area, but I am told by the server techs that it is not possible to give each remote user a shortcut to their 'own' front end, with RDP. That doesn't seem possible to me. (Too much work?) Does anyone have experience of having multiple remote users with MS RDP?

Robert

You need in investigate Terminal Services to allow multiple sessions using remote desktop. You need the correct edition of Windows Server, have it configured for terminal services, and purchase enough TS licences.

Hi

Would it not be better to have each client Access database on the client itself and not on the server. I have read this advice many times and it works well.

It speeds up loading the system.

You would need some code invoked when opening the first form to relink the tables and detect if any tables have not been linked and so warn the user and unload the database.

HighandWild

The advantage of a Terminal Server is speed, the data is local so the calls to the database are quick. A Terminal Server comes with 5 licences and then you need to buy whatever licences are required beyond that. All that is going oyt the WAN are the screen dumps and remote printing if that is setup.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom