Split off Politics & Religion

DickyP

Local time
Today, 06:59
I am a traditionalist who avoids politics and religion in public areas. I would like to see these themes split off from the water Cooler forum - keep controversies where they belong.

But there IS a separate "Politics & Current Events" section. We cannot even force people to post in the correct technical sections. How do you expect us to get them to use a specific non-technical section?

Why did you post his twice?

Again, are mods on this site not able to move threads to a more appropriate board?

Again, are mods on this site not able to move threads to a more appropriate board?

Mods can move whole threads easily. Trickier if we want to move specific posts. But the truth is, the sub-forum titles are merely guidelines. Just remember, according to Captain Jack Sparrow, what you call codes are more like guidelines.

But there IS a separate "Politics & Current Events" section. We cannot even force people to post in the correct technical sections. How do you expect us to get them to use a specific non-technical section?
Yet again incompetence but with a little bit of an excuse (and why people generally don't post to it) in that that "Politics & Current Events" section is way, way down the screen and I didn't know it existed.

I think it's a matter of upbringing and general experience. I can definitely see both sides and both ways of looking at it. Some prefer to avoid it to avoid conflict or semi-conflict appearing moments, others like me see the idea of the guys getting together to have a beer and discuss precisely politics and religion to be the most natural chat topics that there can be - but you can ignore whole forums if that helps.

I see it as The Watercooler is for talk about anything, but the Politics section is just for politics. So, the argument for keeping politics topics in The Watercooler lies somewhere in the centre of a continuum of right verses wrong. But I have an idea.

If the thread of the title is Biden this, Trump that, Republican/Democrat whatever, then it gets moved to the Politics section with a redirect that expires after a month. That way it allows less frequent forum members to keep track of posts that were in the "wrong" area.

If the thread is something like, "Should we tax the wealthiest people", then while that is still a political topic, it is less overtly so since it does not refer to a political party.

Doing this would mean The Watercooler does not get swamped with Trump vs Biden/Harris type stuff and lets those not interested in politics have a place they can hang out in too.

The idea is to thin out the political discussion in The Watercooler. But then on the other hand, the political discussion creates so many posts that it keeps people coming back to the site for more.

Just some of my thoughts to throw into the mix.

I never correct anybody's spelling as I don't believe spelling has to be correct, as long as you can understand what it says.

However just as you are being pedantic I thought I would be pedantic and point out that you have misspelled his ... Should be .... This ...

The purpose of this thread is humor.... Not a personal attack....

If the thread of the title is Biden this, Trump that, Republican/Democrat whatever, then it gets moved to the Politics section with a redirect that expires after a month.
Just moved my "Trump" thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom