Steps to deploy database for users.

gdhaliwal

Local time
Today, 08:27
Hello All,

I have created a data entry database, and I was wondering what the steps are to put on a company network and share across the board.
That would mean just to display forms.
Only admin is granted access for the back end database for editing purposes.
Front end users should not see any layer of access.

Thanks

Hi. Welcome to AWF!

What you want is quite possible but require some planning to implement. As for "only admin is granted access for the back end database," that might not be entirely possible. Each user must have create/modify/delete permission to the back end folder to be able to use an Access database. What you can do instead is try to hide that location from them, so they can't accidentally go there and mess around.

Steps in this process include not only SPLITTING the database (because you want to share it and splitting addresses lock issues) but you also want to restrict what users can see. May I suggest reading on the topic of "splitting a database" and "securing a database"? We have extensive articles on this forum for those two subjects. They will be starting points because what you seek, even for a limited application database, is not trivial.

And by the way, since that was your first post, welcome to the forum.

At least we were first choice. :)

How are you expecting your users to see an Access db without "any layer of access" ? :(

There a lot of useful menus/ribbons. If you hide the ribbons, you will have to do a lot more programming to provide at least some of the facilities you lose.

Hello All,

I have created a data entry database, and I was wondering what the steps are to put on a company network and share across the board.
That would mean just to display forms.
Only admin is granted access for the back end database for editing purposes.
Front end users should not see any layer of access.

Thanks

i meant any menus or ribbons.

Just the forms that popup.
Give that group of users only the Access runtime and convert the Front End accdb to an accde. That should result in minimal ribbon options.

This screenshot, for example, shows only a custom ribbon. You could deploy without it, but then you'd have to provide some other method for users to open your forms.

1720463955448.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom