This company needs a database. Starting from scratch again

PoppyR

Local time
Today, 20:07
Hello,

It said to introduce myself so I thought I would. I'm Robyn, Poppy on here, it's a long story, I have two names. I used to model as a hobby when I was younger and started using a pseudonym then, I don't model any more, now I have branched out into poetry as my main side line and use Poppy for that. So as hobbies I write, but my first true love is Access.

In my last company I built a fairly extensive configuration database in Access so I'm a relatively experienced programmer, but I still tend to use forums a lot for anything a little bit complex.

I changed jobs six months ago and buy oh boy does this place need to be introduced to a database so as of today I have started building them a demo one. I want it to be all singing all dancing and am stuck already on a very basic data import, so expect to be seeing me around.

Have a great time and happy building

Poppy

Hello, Poppy, and welcome to the forum.

From your background description, you are probably familiar with Database Normalization and with the concept of preparing a "project Bible" style of document to capture your decisions for posterity. However, if you have questions on either of those topics, we can offer advice in those directions, too.

Welcome aboard. Based on your introduction, you are starting from "scratch". Assuming that, do you really want to implement an MS Access database solution? There are other databases that could be considered more "modern", but may require more work to implement. Nevertheless, this is an excellent forum for getting all your database questions asked.

Furthermore, the approach you would need to implement for your database solution depends on the "size" and "structure" of your company. Is it a one building operation (where a simple LAN solution would work) or is it spread-out across a very large area (that may require an ISP)?

Hello,

It said to introduce myself so I thought I would. I'm Robyn, Poppy on here, it's a long story, I have two names. I used to model as a hobby when I was younger and started using a pseudonym then, I don't model any more, now I have branched out into poetry as my main side line and use Poppy for that. So as hobbies I write, but my first true love is Access.

In my last company I built a fairly extensive configuration database in Access so I'm a relatively experienced programmer, but I still tend to use forums a lot for anything a little bit complex.

I changed jobs six months ago and buy oh boy does this place need to be introduced to a database so as of today I have started building them a demo one. I want it to be all singing all dancing and am stuck already on a very basic data import, so expect to be seeing me around.

Have a great time and happy building

Poppy

Welcome to AWF. Enjoy your new project - it's a great feeling to build a db for a desperately needed situation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom