Tools for frontend development (1 Viewer)

What tools do you use for frontend development?

• Tools for code generation

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Source Code Management / Version Control System

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Automated tests

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Code documentation / Application documentation

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • To-Do lists / Issue trackers

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Application deployment / Continuous integration tools

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Tools for the creation of user manual (help files, pdf, html, videos, ...)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other Tools

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Josef P.

Local time
Today, 09:51
Reading the thread "How to test program before releasing new version?" it occurred to me that it would be interesting to find the "ideal development environment" for Access.

What does your Access frontend development environment look like?
(Backend development I would like to leave out in this thread so that it doesn't get too confusing due to the many DBMS.)

Maybe we can create an overview of useful developer tools for Access.

I use:
  • Code generation (VBE-Add-Ins)
  • Source Code Management | version control system
  • Automated tests
  • Code documentation | Application documentation
  • To-Do Lists | Issue Trackers: depending on the project:
    • GitHub issues or
    • Azure DevOps Boards or
    • MS Planner (mostly combined with Teams channel)
  • Application deployment
    • Batch files for distribution to the user PC (install + update)
    • VBScript / PowerShell files for accde creation + configuration for end user (locking, link to DBMS, ...)
  • Other Tools
    • vbWatchdog for general error handling
    • miscellaneous custom add-ins that simplify repetitive tasks (e. g. DBMS Connection Wizard, Filter-Form-Wizard)
I miss:
  • CI/CD tool that combines Git, testing and accde creation (32 + 64 bit).
  • Copilot for VBA :p
/edit:
If anyone uses other tools or wants to describe their own set of tools, please reply in the thread.

Last edited:

Edgar_

Local time
Today, 02:51
Code generation:
  • Github copilot and ChatGPT, I have code snippets that help me prompt easily
Source code management:
  • Git, if any
Automated tests:
  • None, I'm usually in a big damn hurry
Code documentation:
  • No tools, just good naming and comments where I see fit, I try to make my code look as english readable as the syntax allows me, even if the names are long, I also try to make it as declarative as possible and follow good principles as well as oop
To-Do-Lists:
  • The notepad. Windows + R > type "notepad". Since these lists are ephemeral, I don't keep track of it.
App deployment:
  • Google Drive and powershell/cmd

I'd use the rubberduck if the developer had more docs.

Edit: I keep misspelling that word.

Last edited:

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 03:51
You beat me to it. Funny how the D and F are next to each other on the keyboard. Or maybe just an unhappy customer?

amorosik

Local time
This post is very interesting (almost for me), because it allows you to compare yourself with other enthusiasts/professionals and check the tools used, personally, I basically use three tools:

- MzTools for the simplified creation of error and time measurement routines on each function/procedure

- Vcs-Access for saving all the objects contained in the project in txt format for the purpose of comparison between different versions and above all for periodic restoration to maintain a limited size of the work file

- Google Document, for communication with users I use a Google Document and allow the user to write the requests or notes he deems appropriate

I keep the notes on the required operations and things to do directly inside the work file in a modCoseDaFare module

Josef P.

Local time
I miss:
  • Copilot for VBA
... now just a little. => SDOpenAI Add-In tested:

Developer page: https://sd-win.com/produkt/addins/accessaddin

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:51
Nice presentation, I didn't realize a .gif could hold so much information.

ions

Access User
Local time
- Vcs-Access for saving all the objects contained in the project in txt format for the purpose of comparison between different versions and above all for periodic restoration to maintain a limited size of the work file

Amorosik,

How do you use Vcs for the purpose of comparison between different versions? I used to compare databases using FMS detective but it is no longer being updated for the latest versions of MS Access.

Thanks.

amorosik

Local time
Amorosik,

How do you use Vcs for the purpose of comparison between different versions? I used to compare databases using FMS detective but it is no longer being updated for the latest versions of MS Access.

Thanks.

Each new version, I save both the source in mdb/accdb and the directory containing the txt files extracted with Vcs-Access in a directory with the version number
If I need to check the differences between various versions, I use WinMerge which allows you to quickly show the differences between two files or two directories containing similar files

Josef P.

Local time
Do I understand correctly: you use msaccess-vcs but no VCS like Git or similar?
Have you ever tried Git with TortoiseGit, for example? This allows you to use Git locally without an extra Git server.
With a VCS you have a very good overview of the changes.

ions

Access User
Local time
Each new version, I save both the source in mdb/accdb and the directory containing the txt files extracted with Vcs-Access in a directory with the version number
If I need to check the differences between various versions, I use WinMerge which allows you to quickly show the differences between two files or two directories containing similar files
Thanks amorosik,

VCS and WinMerge work great together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom