Totals Query/sums/grand totals

thsoundman

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:54
Hey all! This is my first post. Been searching through the net all day trying to find a solution to this problem. Basically i have a table that looks like this (regular text is what i have and bolded text is what I need:
Name Date Qty MO
Brad 12/12/2007 23323 4423
John 12/11/2007 3445 4432
John 12/11/2007 344 4432
John 12/11/2007 45 4432
John 12/11/2007 44 4432
John 12/11/2007 3445 4432
Grand Total: (Qty)

And then I'd like to be able to carry this over and display a grand total at the bottom of every page of a report that I would need to generate. Our company produces forms and we sometimes have 60 - 70 people working on a single job. We want to see their hours individually but we would also like to see a grand sum of all their hours. If someone could help with this or needs more info let me know. Thanks for all your help!

You typically wouldn't display a query directly to a user anyway, so this type of thing would normally be totaled up on the report. It sounds like you'd want this in the group and report footers (for the person and grand totals respectively):

=Sum(Qty)

Ok i got the formula working, I had to do some properties editing but it works. my next question is how do i keep it from posting it every otherline. I just want it to post it at the bottom of the report page instead of after every single record. Does the make sense? I would assume that would include some sort of unbounding.

in report design view put the expression in the footer

What fields are defined in Sorting and Grouping?

After lunch I'll provide you with a picture and I'll point arrows and such to make things easier to understand, I'm not to good with describing things with word.s

Description

Heres the picture as promised.... what i want is described on the pic.

Attachments

• My screen.JPG
    My screen.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 249
Use the Report Wizard, that's what it's for, it'll do most of the work for you

It's not doing the sum for me... it's doing what i had described on picture.

Then you've chosen the wrong options when prompted by the Wizard, delete the Report and use the wizard again, pay attention to the sorting and grouping options;)

Nothing in the reports wizard having to do with sums.... it creates the report for me yes and i can choose to sort in ascending or descending order but there isn't anything dealing with sums. Perhaps you are refering to the queries wizard.

That doesn't tell me what's defined in Sorting and Grouping, but have you tried the formula I gave you in the report footer? Also, something looks goofy with the existing totals. Maybe you could post a sample db.

No it's in the Report wizard, under Summary options after having selected the Sort/Group option

Smack me around and call me sally. For some reason it works when i do it a specific way... perhaps somthing is glitched. Ok i did do the manual formula in the report footer. And it is working now. What was odd is that when I did that the first time it didn't work. I think I'm going to wipe my database and start it from scratch again (being that theres no data in it) just in case somthing is bugged. Anyways guys thanks for being patient with me and helping me with this issue!

The same formula will not work in the page footer, so perhaps you had it there to start with.

Fyi, you can show Grand Totals in a query, without using a report.

-Open the query in datasheet view.
-Click the Home ribbon
-Click the Totals button
-At the bottom of the datasheet window, you see the Totals cells.
-Click the dropdown on any Totals cell, and pick the kind of grand total you desire.

Works in 2010, not sure about other versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom