Trouble with the apostrophe in a text box

evanark

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:37
I get an error in my app when a user enters an apostrophe in text box during data entry, I use an before update event to check for duplicates and thats when the error is triggered.

Here is the code for the before update event

Code:
If DCount("*", "tblAccount", "[accSchoolName]='" & Me.accSchoolName & "' And [accSystemType]='" & Me.cboSystemType & "'") > 0 Then
    Beep
    Me.lblMessage.Caption = "School and system type combination already exist, please enter an new school name or select a different system type to continue. "
    Cancel = True
    Me!cboSystemType.Undo
Else
    Me.lblMessage.Caption = ""
End If

The text box is bound. How can I get around this issue?

Thanks in advance!

For the text field use
Replace(Nz(Me.cboSystemType, ""), Chr(39), Chr(39) & Chr(39))
in place of Me.cboSystemType in your Dlookup. It will take care of the single quote issue.

The code compiles but I get a run time error

Code:
If DCount("*", "tblAccount", "[accSchoolName]='" & Me.accSchoolName & "' And [accSystemType]='" & Replace(Nz(Me.cboSystemType, ""), Chr(39), Chr(39) & Chr(39)) & "'") > 0 Then

Evan, what is the error message? Is Me.cboSystemType a text field? Try it on your other field Me.accSchoolName.

I figured it out I tried this

Code:
If DCount("*", "tblAccount", "[accSchoolName]='" & Replace(Me.accSchoolName, "'", "''") & "' And [accSystemType]='" & Me.cboSystemType & "'") > 0 Then

It accepted text with apostrophes

Bill, the cboSystemType is text field, Ill rerun the code with get the error so we can figure it out for future reference, Thank for you help! Ill try to get that error messge posted soon.

Glad your figuring things out. I like to use Chr(39) etc. because it is easy to see as compared to "''" which can get a little tricky visually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom