Solved Unload event and update status (1 Viewer)

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:49
Hi Pat
I apoligize if i didnt say nothing before but yes i liked your presntation in your videos.
You are exlaning very clearly so is very nice to follow.
Thank you🙂
PS: Do you have plans fore more videos like this in future?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:49
Yes. I will probably do at least one more on form level events. But, I'm open to suggestions. @Uncle Gizmo has been helping. He is my "student" and asks questions that he thinks the audience might also ask. He is also cleaning up the videos by removing some dead spots or redundancies and also adding some graphics.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Likes are nice but if you have a burning desire to learn how to do something or gain a better understanding of how things work, please don't be shy. If I think the subject is not well covered, I will add it to my list.

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Hi
Yes ,I read some time ago about algoritms and SHA hash functions.
It is interesting to me to know How all that started how access know how to encyprt all that..how the person who write all that know to do it?
I know that some data can be encrypted in access..like the table with passwords...so nobody can then reverse back the password..

I am intereting in these topic but maybe can this can be very difficult to understand becouse I am still solo learning begginer....I dont know.

for me would be a chalenge that somebody explain me how is all this working and then with some example to learn how is that working...

Thank you

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
algorithms are simply the code used to perform a task. Sometimes an algorithm might be pseudo code or it could be actual code in some computer language.

No one is going to be able to tell you the hash algorithm Access uses to encrypt data or how to break it

You have way more useful stuff to learn about access than how to break a password protected database..

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Yes I agree
Of course I dont want to learn breaking into passwords. I am sure that this is very complicated.

My goal is to learn to write my own functions and codes.

I just mencioned sha and password becouse some people are saying that access is not so protected database and that is easy to enter and break it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Access is a special purpose tool. It is the best on the market in its class. Nothing else comes close. But, since it is a file based system, Security is not its strong suit. If you have to worry about strangers trying to break into your application, you need to use a different development platform. You do have the ability to use a more robust RDBMS such as Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, etc. as the BE and that makes the data more secure but it doesn't solve your FE problem so very few people actually create applications using Access and sell them to the general public. Even the apps I sell, are not shrink-wrapped and sold on Amazon. When you are dealing with Corporate America, you get actual signed contracts which the client is significantly less inclined to violate than the average gamer because they have much more to lose if caught.

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Yes I understand.
I like very much Access and becouse of that I start to learn.
If I will manage to complete my database I think my department at work will help me to connect the database to sql server? I hope they will know what are they doing?
In my work already i have another program which I use for making some measurments and this program use oracle and oracle is then managed from India people.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Connecting to SQL Server is trivial if you built the application with an understanding of how client/server applications interact with SQL Server. If your app uses old fashioned "Access" techniques that you see recommended here all the time, you will not be happy with the result once you upsize.

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Pat
Thanks for your explanation.

But what you mean with that? That my database will be very slow?
If your app uses old fashioned "Access" techniques that you see recommended here all the time, you will not be happy with the result once you upsize.
Thank you

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
But what you mean with that? That my database will be very slow?
Correct. A straight conversion is possible - I do it all the time. However, I also develop apps knowing that I might at some point need to upsize them so I use techniques that will work well regardless of the BE.

Jet/ACE are actually very fast so people are amazed when they convert to SQL Server and find the converted app to be sluggish. But that is because they are not taking advantage of the power of the server. The converted app may not be faster if you develop it correctly but it will not be slower:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom