Using ACCDE format 64 vs 32 bits

Ahmeed696

Local time
Today, 20:14
Hello everyone!
I have a 64 bits -version of Ms access. I created an ACCDE file from my database and sent to another person who uses access 32 bits. The program didn't open with him and showed the following message; "

This database was created with 64-bit version of Microsoft access. Please open it with 64-bit version of Microsoft access."​

Could I make an ACCDE file available for both 64 and 32 bits versions?
Is it just about a code to add or do I have to use two machines to create both types 32 and 64 bits ACCDE ?

You can only create a 32-bit ACCDE file from a machine running a 32-bit version of Access. So, you either need two machines or a virtual machine to create both.

You can only create a 32-bit ACCDE file from a machine running a 32-bit version of Access. So, you either need two machines or a virtual machine to create both.
Thanks a lot. I want to get a virtual machine for that. So what should I do?

Thanks a lot. I want to get a virtual machine for that. So what should I do?
You can download a virtual machine application of your choice (e.g. Hyper-V, VirtualBox, etc.) and then create a virtual machine using it. Technically speaking, a virtual machine is considered a "real" machine that requires a Windows license to use. So, make sure you have a valid license when you install Windows on that virtual machine. Good luck!

Adding to theDBguy's comments, if you are running two versions of Access, you will probably ALSO need a license for each.

Unless you need 64bit Access, uninstall it and install the 32 bit version?

I'm with Gasman on this one. Unless your office mandates the 64-bit Office package because they are doing something with HUGE Excel files, you don't need 64-bit Office. Excel/64-bit can run million-row spreadsheets. Word/64-bit can build bigger documents. PowerPoint, Note, and Outlook don't care. Access/64-bit gets SLIGHTLY better at memory handling, but the 2 GB file size limit doesn't go away so most of the time, Access64 is kind of useless. Office/32-bit runs just fine on a 64-bit Windows. (I'm doing that at home right now.) AND it is possible that you could build a "safe" version of a 32-bit Access app that you COULD run on a 64-bit version Office.

AND it is possible that you could build a "safe" version of a 32-bit Access app that you COULD run on a 64-bit version Office.
Not if you have to distribute an .accde. The .accde must be made and run by the same bit version of Office. Most of my apps are not bit sensitive but I still would need two Access installations to create the necessary .accde files or just distribute an .accdb You might be able to simply rename the .accdb to .accdr to mimic the runtime. I haven't tried it but of course, that offers no protection at all so it really depends on what protection you need.

Unless your office mandates the 64-bit Office package because they are doing something with HUGE Excel files, you don't need 64-bit Office.
Problem is my clients install 64bit because they believe 64bit is more future proof and faster. So long as they are consistent across all devices, I don't see it as a problem.

Problem is my clients install 64bit because they believe 64bit is more future proof and faster. So long as they are consistent across all devices, I don't see it as a problem.

Other than the slightly more limited set of libraries you can use because MS didn't convert them all, you are probably right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom