Using VBA to avoid the output of #Error on a report

dayna

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:36
I have a report (based on a query) that analyzes student progress on the GED test. Although the report functions perfectly most of the time, there is a rare exception that causes a calculated field in my query to be divided by zero, resulting in the display of #Error in a textbox on my report.

I have thought it through long and hard, and I am simply not clever enough to think of a mathematical way out of this problem. Rather than going into a deep explanation of all the rules and bureaucracy that govern this testing process, and why I have to sometimes divide by zero, I wonder if anyone can help me manipulate the output of that textbox in those rare cases that result in #Error.

For example, I tried creating an additional calculated field in my query…

Second Field: IIf ([First Field] = “#Error”, default value, [First Field])

…thinking I could base the textbox in my report on the Second Field. Alas, the Second Field also results #Error. I also tried it without the quotation marks, but I get an error message warning me about an invalid date value or something like that. :confused:

Thus far I’ve only used very basic VBA to improve the way my forms function, but I imagine it could be used tackle this problem, if #Error can even be referred to as a value. My issue seems to be that I lack the vocabulary to describe my goal, which has rendered my searches long and fruitless. Your recommendations of search terms and/or links would be most appreciated.

No need for VBA, you need to use something like this in your calculated field:
Code:
MyFieldNameHere:IIf(Nz([MyDivisorField],0)=0,0,[MyOtherField]/[MyDivisorField])

Super Bob Saves the Day!

Works like a charm! Thanks so much for a VBA-free solution, and for allowing me to sleep a little better at night. ;)

Glad we could help :)

Good luck with the rest of your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom