You Couldn't Make It Up

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 19:01
The CROWDSTRIKE issue started in jokes, which was maybe not the best place.

I just wonder how much of that was written by AI and if there is too much automatic reliance on its superiority. Why was it not more thoroughly tested? Another concern to me would be the issue that Gasman brought up, Xero an accounting system that stopped working. How would they be if after restarting and some data was lost? Would they be able to verify their accounts to check that? Could they step back? Did they have a backup before the issue?

When I was a software consultant I would always advise against a company selling their invoices to improve cash flow. Basically because once they do, they lose control of their sales ledger.

Are there accounting systems out there maybe without a plan B? If that system went down for three months would companies using it survive? Could they lose all access to their accounts and how do they control their accounts and cash flow in the meantime? If they don't send statements out they will not get paid. Apart from airlines many others fell over yesterday, insurance being another. So what if you cannot get any bank or insurance information for a week or so. Not a good situation to be in. It is a fact that hardly any business owners and boards of directors have even the faintest idea how any of their software works. The software that their company totally relies upon. Not a clue. I have actually been in several companies who had been sold some supadupa backup and restore system, which had never actually been fully live tested. "we can't afford the downtime to do it but it will be fine!"

Can it be the case that too much faith is being placed on some systems that could be prone to failure, or attack? Too many rely on their spreadsheets but every spreadsheet I've been asked to check has had errors. Albeit some with small errors but errors nonetheless. Mainly because in most cases they are produced by managers, or minions with little knowledge of systems, procedure and logic. A bunch of software apprentices basically. No doubt there will be some countries and propeller-heads all over the World encouraged by the CrowdStrike event who will now be attempting to create something similar.

If I was in business I certainly wouldn't want to be reliant on the systems that Xero and insurance companies rely on. Are you basically reliant on third parties that your software supplier uses? What could those software companies do if their supplier fails? Hopefully all these questions have been addressed.

Last edited:
What is CrowdStrike famous for?

The company has been involved in investigations of several high-profile cyberattacks, including the 2014 Sony Pictures hack, the 2015–16 cyberattacks on the Democratic National Committee (DNC), and the 2016 email leak involving the DNC.

What is CrowdStrike famous for?

You have named a few of its more notorious issues. There is some product that relates to security for cloud-based packages. Because it intimately worms its way into the Cloud driver, it is a kernel-mode extension of the O/S. I can tell you this much: When your O/S kernel takes a fault, you are done for the day.

The ONLY solution is to coax your machine into recovery mode and step back from the latest O/S patch. Then forbid Windows to do an auto update until you have confidence that you have the CrowdStrike patch to fix the faulty file that fouled up your data flow.

You have named a few of its more notorious issues. There is some product that relates to security for cloud-based packages.
Maybe someone can explain why "we" keep renewing their contracts to safeguard the nation's most sensitive information i.e. air travel, banking, and voting.

I must keep my source safe here, but a person I know in the "software incident remediation" industry tells me that CloudStrike stock has taken a MASSIVE hit in the stock market within the last 24 hours. My source has also reportedly been given an urgent assignment to travel to banking centers in Charlotte NC to help fix the banking and credit card problems triggered by the event. Makes sense because remote connections don't work very well when made to a machine in the throes of the Blue Screen of Death.

..........industry tells me that CloudStrike stock has taken a MASSIVE hit in the stock market within the last 24 hours.
I wouldn't be too concerned if their shares were down a bit. On Friday they closed at $304.96 which left CrowdStrike only being worth (if that is the correct description) just a lousy $72Billion
They opened their doors in 2011 and in 2014 has a turnover of $52 million. Last year turnover was $3Billion. So I doubt any CrowdStrikers bothered to put their golf clubs away, or sailed back to harbour, or picked up a phone to see how things were going. Hey, in the whole scheme of things just a blip guys.

CNN article here

The problem was caused by a few bits of CrowdStrike’s own bad code in a software “content update.” Unfortunately, fixing the mistake was much more time consuming than causing it, and it could be days before all the systems are back to normal.

CrowdStrike has been a menace for more than a decade

Screenshot 2024-07-20 112404.png

What a dumb name for a cybersecurity company anyway. Sounds like the opposite of what you'd want to name it
It's not their name that concerns me, it's their history of sketchy activity regarding cybersecurity.

Testing is for peasants. My code always works. It compiled didn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom