Question Filter data based on the User Login (1 Viewer)

MickCun1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:41
Hi all,

I have a created a large access database to be used for multiple users. Each user has an employeeID and I want to filter the data they see when they login, based on the data linked to their employeeID.

I know the functionality can be done with this on the login form but I am unsure as to the most efficient way of going about this.

Some pseudocode (I have a background in Java! Ha) for the login form is as follows;

If(userID = 1(Admin))
SELECT * FROM tblJobCosts
else
SELECT * FROM tblJobCosts WHERE USERID = userID.

I would appreciate any advice!! I have just been stuck on this for a few hours now and Im unsure as to the best and most efficient way of going about this.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Have you considered using the “tag”property for each control on the form? I have a UDF that loops through each control and makes them visible based on the user’s credentials.

I would share it with you now but it is on my computer at work. If you are still interested, I can post it here once I get back to work...

MickCun1

Registered User.
Local time
Yes Please! Thanks NauticalGent!

MickCun1

Registered User.
Local time
Colin,

Thanks very much! I will get back to you after I have a look at your db. I know I am so close to getting the data filtered based on the user, but it is just so frustrating getting over the line!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Good morning Vlad, and thanks for the link - lots of useful stuff there! However, any link I chose gives me a 404 error. I attached a screen shot for reference.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:41
Good morning Vlad, and thanks for the link - lots of useful stuff there! However, any link I chose gives me a 404 error. I attached a screen shot for reference.
Link works ok for me.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Thanks Tony, it could be my .mil domain. I will give it a shot when I get home.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
@Vlad - I can't get to the sample databases either - same 404 error.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
And moi, and I think I have accessed it in the past?

static

Registered User.
Local time
Replace linked tables with queries.
When you 'install' the application run code to update the SQL to

select * from [\\server\share\blah\mydb.accdb].table1 where employeeID=12345

Job done.

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:41
Hi everyone, sorry my web host deleted all my files again! I have them back now so please go ahead and try again, they should all work.

Cheers,
Vlad

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you are going to do this, you need to allow for supervisory override. I use a bound login form. The user enters his UID and password into unbound controls and the logon button validates. If the credentials are correct, the user's record populates the form. The login form is hidden and the switchboard is opened. You could include a "supervisor" flag. That way all your queries would include the following expression as part of their WHERE clause.

WHERE (.... regular selection criteris ...) AND (UserID = Forms!frmLogin!UserID OR Forms!frmLogin!SupervisorFlg = True)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I think I have misunderstood your requirement. Good thing static and Pat’s reading comprehension is better than mine.

static

Registered User.
Local time
NP NG. I deleted my post when I saw everyone talking about fields/controls and reposted again. Your solution may still be relevant anyway.

MickCun1

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Pat and Static,

I maybe have not been as informative as I still cannot solve this problem. When a user logs in he/she is directed to a page (frmJobs) which has three subforms, one of which is frmSearch with all the job data in it.

I want to filter this frmSearch when a user logs in. This List is pulled off a vwJobList in the DB. So frmSearch has no control source and is unbound, it just has a query in its row source as it is a list box. Here is the code in VBA for it at the minute;

If IsSubform(Me) Then
Select Case Me.Parent.Name
Case "frmJobs", "frmDesktop"
Me.lstList.RowSource = "SELECT v.JobID, v.JobNumber as [Job #], v.JobDescription as [Description] FROM vwJobList AS v ORDER BY v.JobNumber;"
Me.lstList.Value = DMin("JobID", "tblJobs")
End Select
End If

In the Login form then the code is; (when a user logs in)
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmJobs", acNormal, , , acFormReadOnly

Im thinking is there anyway I can place code under this DoCmd in the login form VBA, to apply a filter to the frmSearch when the frmJobs form opens?? Or is this more difficult than it sounds?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I think I have misunderstood your requirement. Good thing static and Pat’s reading comprehension is better than mine.

@NG :)
I just read your comment without reading the first post properly & added my link!
I also don't think its relevant now as the latest post is suggesting something very different

@MickCun1
So do you just want to filter the subform depending on the login details?

MickCun1

Registered User.
Local time
Yes Ridders!!

So each user has a userID and when they log in I want to return the job list from frmSearch that corresponds to their user ID.

I have the code here but I'm unsure as to where to place this;

Me.lstList.RowSource = "SELECT v.JobID, v.JobNumber as [Job #], v.JobDescription as [Description] FROM vwJobList AS v WHERE PMEmployeeID = 4576 ORDER BY v.JobNumber;"
'Then place a variable in instead of the hardcoded 4576

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom