Solved Copy filtered records to a temporary table (1 Viewer)

NeilT123

Local time
Today, 06:55
Good morning, I have a main form with a subform. The subform is a continuous form which is filtered from the main form. I then use the inbuilt Access Filters (right click in the text box) to narrow down the records shown in the subform.

Once the records are filtered down I would like to copy those records using a button on the main form (shown as Print Appln Charts on the screenshot) to a temporary table to use as a base for a report.

Is this possible?

I have tried using an append query but it copies the unfiltered records of the subform e.g. when I open the forms there may be 30 records showing in the subform I then filter this down to say 10 which I want to copy but the append query copies 30 records to the new table.

Screenshot attached for guidance

Thank you in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Accessworld Screenshot 140224.png
    Accessworld Screenshot 140224.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 40

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 01:55
Get the forms filter and use that to build the append query.

NeilT123

Local time
Hi MajP, how would I do that please? This is my append query

INSERT INTO tblSLTrptFertApplnCharts ( FertApplnIndex )
SELECT qryUpdateFertApplns.ApplicationIndex
FROM qryUpdateFertApplns;

MajP

Local time
in code from your form maybe something like
Code:
dim strSql as string
strSql = "INSERT INTO tblSLTrptFertApplnCharts ( FertApplnIndex ) SELECT qryUpdateFertApplns.ApplicationIndex FROM qryUpdateFertAppln "
strSql = strSql & " WHERE " & me.Filter
debug.print strql
'if that does not work go into immediate window and post the results here from the debug.print
currentdb.execute Strsql, dbfailonerror

NeilT123

Local time
Using your code:

Code:
Dim strSql As String

strSql = "INSERT INTO tblSLTrptFertApplnCharts ( FertApplnIndex ) SELECT qryUpdateFertApplns.ApplicationIndex FROM qryUpdateFertApplns "

strSql = strSql & " WHERE " & Me.Filter

Debug.Print strql

'if that does not work go into immediate window and post the results here from the debug.print

CurrentDb.Execute strSql, dbFailOnError

gives
Run-time error 3145
Syntax error in WHERE clause

Because it is the subform that is filtered I also tried this. The subform is called frmIfUpdateFertApplns

Code:
strSql = strSql & " WHERE " & frmIfUpdateFertApplns.Form.Filter
and that gave
Run-time error 3061
Too few parameters. Expected 1

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Show uour Me.Filter value

NeilT123

Local time
Does the "receiving table" tblSLTrptFertApplnCharts have to have identical field names to the "sending query" qryUpdateFertApplns?

MajP

Local time
No. Please follow instructions if you want help.

NeilT123

Local time
How do I find Me.Filter value? Would it be in the Property sheet? If so here are a couple of examples.

(([Lookup_ProductName].[ProductName] Like "*N. 34.5*")) AND ([Lookup_ApplicationTiming].[ApplicationTiming] Like "*umn seed*")

([qryUpdateFertApplns].[FieldName] Like "*unt Plea*")

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
How do I find Me.Filter value? Would it be in the Property sheet? If so here are a couple of examples.

(([Lookup_ProductName].[ProductName] Like "*N. 34.5*")) AND ([Lookup_ApplicationTiming].[ApplicationTiming] Like "*umn seed*")

([qryUpdateFertApplns].[FieldName] Like "*unt Plea*")
MajP is asking for you to show what the Debug.Print command has produced.
Go into the Immediate window and copy and paste what is shown.

NeilT123

Local time
There was nothing in the Immediate window and I couldn't understand why. Then I noticed there was a typing error in the Debug.Print command.

Here is the text
INSERT INTO tblSLTrptFertApplnCharts ( FertApplnIndex ) SELECT qryUpdateFertApplns.ApplicationIndex FROM qryUpdateFertApplns WHERE

MajP

Local time
Sorry. I missed the subform part. Try this and report back since the filter is on the subform and you are running code from main form
strSql = strSql & " WHERE " & frmIfUpdateFertApplns.Form.Filter
Then we can see the sql string.

NeilT123

Local time
The error is too few parameters.

INSERT INTO tblSLTrptFertApplnCharts ( FertApplnIndex ) SELECT qryUpdateFertApplns.ApplicationIndex FROM qryUpdateFertApplns WHERE (([Lookup_ProductName].[ProductName] Like "*olysulpha*")) AND ([qryUpdateFertApplns].[Variety] Like "*ham Win*")

NeilT123

Local time
tblSLTrptFertApplnCharts has a single field FertApplnIndex

ebs17

Local time
Today, 07:55
SELECT qryUpdateFertApplns.ApplicationIndex FROM qryUpdateFertApplns WHERE (([Lookup_ProductName].[ProductName] Like "*olysulpha*")) AND ([qryUpdateFertApplns].[Variety] Like "*ham Win*")

Only fields from the tables specified in the FROM part are known in the query. Something in Lookup_ProductName is unknown and requires inquiry. Hence the error message after expected parameters.

NeilT123

Local time
Once the records are filtered down I would like to copy those records using a button on the main form (shown as Print Appln Charts on the screenshot) to a temporary table to use as a base for a report.
Just to finish off this thread I resolved this by adding a "select for printing" Yes/No button into the detail of the subform and then used that in the query behind the report.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Please mark it solved then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom